Chapter 4

"Who do you suspect is the leader of the organized robberies?" He asks after lightning a cigarette.

"I don't know. They look too young to know what they're doing."

"And that's why they're dangerous. From what I've seen it's either Jonny or el Rey. But I'm leaning more towards Jonny."

Sara stays quiet. She doesn't want it to be Lupe. She's still in disbelief. Lupe is part of the group that organizes armed robberies. She doesn't want to be against him. But she must comprehend that he isn't doing any good to the city.

"I think it's easier if you focus on the girls and Lupe. I'll take Jonny and the others." Luna suggests.

"I haven't told you...Jonny's seen me before."

"What do you mean? When?"

"Last night at a club. He told me when he drove me here."

Luna rubs that back of his head with minimal frustration. "What exactly did he see? You met him?"

"No. I didn't even know he was there. Today at the barbecue is the first time I've seen him. He says he saw me dance with Gabriel."

"Alright. We should be fine. Anyone else that knows you?"

"No. Just Lupe." She rolls her eyes. "Is that it or do you have anymore questions?"

"That'll be all." He smiles jerkily.

Sara then walks past him to head back to her home. But she remembers something and turns back at him.

"Oh. And by the way, if I had to consider those my only options, I'd say that Jonny's car is brown."

But it's more like a red-brown.

It's nine in the morning and Sara is debating whether she should call Lupe now or later. She decides to call him after eating breakfast at her father's house. She needs someone to speak to or at least comfort her. And her dad is the only one who can do that.

After she pulls up onto the driveway, she quickly climbs the front steps and unlocks the front door.

"Hey, Pops!" She calls. "You better be up." Sara goes into the kitchen, in search for her dad.

"You should've been here by nine. Mira la hora que es. It's late." Her dad points at the clock above the kitchen doorway.

"I'm sorry. I thought you were out last night. I didn't think you'd be up by now. You started cooking? I thought you wanted us to do it together. That's the point of having breakfast together, Dad."

Sara laughs as she takes a grape from a small bowl on the counter and brings it to her mouth. His position is quite funny; he's standing in front of the stove, holding the pan and in other he is holding a spatula all the while he is looking at her with a blank expression.

"Whatcha think? That I'm some drunk?"

"No. I thought you having a night with your boys or buddies."

"I did. But I didn't comeback late or drunk. Pon la mesa!"

"I was out late."

"Oh, yeah? Were you at that club again with Gabriel or what?"

"No, Pops. That was on Thursday night. Last night I was at a barbecue."

"With Gabriel."

"No. Not with Gabriel. You don't want to know."

After a big breakfast that consisted of eggs topped with salsa, bacon, hash browns, orange juice, and coffee, Sara picked up the table and washed the dishes. It was only fair.