Chapter 11

"She's been asking for you, you know? Brought her here. Thought you might be here." Jonny shrugs.

Lupe purses his lips and nods slightly. "She say why?"

"Didn't ask."

"Órale," he responds calmly. "You haven't seen me."

And just like that he gets lost in the crowd once again.

***

Later that night at the Cortez brothers' house party, Lupe's discreetness was to no avail. Sara saw him walk into what looked like the kitchen just as she arrived with Jonny.

"What's good, homes?" A big guy with too many tattoos greets Jonny with an odd handshake.

"Quiubo?"

"Who's your hyna?"

"Nah, she ain't my lady."

"Oh, shit. Nah? Lemme get a piece of that ass then," he laughs.

"You ain't good enough for this piece of ass," Sara assures him.

He laughs sarcastically. "I always get what I want. And I say I'm gonna get a taste of it by the end of the night, bitch."

Jonny moves Sara aside and steps in front of him. He eyes him carefully. "Hey... how 'bout showing some respect for the little lady, huh? She's Lupe's kid cousin. If I were you I wouldn't fuck with that."

"I don't give a fuck. How 'bout that, huh?"

"You better back off, culero. Wouldn't want things to get ugly."

"They already there, ese. Turns out I know about the debt you owe my homie Chino. One phone call. Un desmadre."

"Pinche rata lambiscon."

They smile dangerously to one another.

"Jonny?" Sara holds his hand. "Vámonos." She pleads.

Jonny tightens his grip to Sara's hand and they bust out of there in a blink of an eye. He's furious. He might be holding on to Sara's hand much too tight. He feels the rage build up inside. He wants to do something to get rid of the feeling. He just might.

Once they're outside, he lets go of her. But Jonny continues to ramble furiously to the side walk.

What is going on, Sara mentally questions.

"Who was that fucking asshole?"

"Big Frankie," he fumes.

"Yeah, he seems to know you well."

"The Cortez brothers know everything about everyone."

"I doubt that."

"I should drive since you're shaken up." Jonny nods to his own agreement.

"I'm not shaken up. I'm actually fascinated. That was kinda hot. You know, the way you stood up for me. Thank you."

Her reaction to the altercation confuses him.

"I never disrespect a woman."

"That's real clear to me now. Not that I doubted it, but I just didn't know. Until now. For sure."

He nods lightly.

"So where to now?"

"You're going home."

Sara frowns. "And where are you going?"

"Listen, that's nothing you need to be concerned about. Alright? That's my business." He says miffed.