Chapter 15

Angry and howling wind pushed against branch, swaying him off his feet and onto the ground. Almost as it a storm was brewing. But how could that be possible? Until he began picking the flowers and their bulbs, there was no sign of clouds anywhere. Suddenly, a bright flash of lightning and thunder roared across the sky, but surprisingly no rain. Branch tried to look for cover, but the villa was completely open. There was nothing to hid under, as confused as branch was, he was startled by an even stranger event. Someone's voice.

"Who dares to steal our precious flora"?! A thunderous voice demanded. Branched almost jumped at the voice. Guarding himself in the process. Being sure to be cautious, seeing as he couldn't see his potential opponent. "I-I'm sorry, but I didn't know that these flowers were owned by anyone. Please, won't you spare some gloom blossoms"? Branch asked with an almost apologetic tone. "We have been guarding this patch from both beast and bergen alike. These flowers have been so valuable, that  this is the only grove remaining. Too many have fallen prey to greed over these blessed flowers, and so this grove is guarded. I must ask for you to return those bulbs and leave". Branch wondered why these flowers were so sought after. Sure they were the only known cure for a frostmouth bite. But was there really more to them than that?  Branch's heart sank into his chest. If this mysterious person wouldn't part with any flowers, then he had only one choice. And he didn't like it. Branch slowly backed away, then quickly turned to grab his bag. Running swiftly for the exit. Almost immediately, the clouds had formed to make a thunderhead, thick and darkening. Deep rumbling could be heard as branch made his way towards the exit. Suddenly without warning, lightning touched down to the ground before branch could reach the exit. Causing branch to jump back on instinct huffing hard. Thankful he wasn't hit.

The strike made a burning, sulfur smell waft in the air, smoke rising from the charred earth. Almost burning branch's nostrils. Branch scurried to his feet. Quickly beginning another run. Resulting in another lightning strike. "Return them, NOW"! The voice bellowed angrily. Trying to find another exit, branch frantically ran in any direction he could. The more he ran, the more lightning bold scorched the ground, targeting branch more closely with each attempt. "Return them! Return them now or you will DIE"! The voice Roared as it echoed over the villa. Branch fell to his knees, knuckles clenched and in the dirt. "If you kill me, you kill HER"! Branch shouted into the air. The lightning stopped. Branch looked up, surprised to see that the clouds were no longer dark or rumbling. Instead, the breeze was calm, clouds a normal white, and still. Branch's curiosity peaked, he stood. Still cautious, but curious. To his bewilderment, he saw that the clouds began to break apart and gently descend to the ground, separating into small singular clouds. Confusion grasped branch's mind. What was happening? Were they gone? Were they going to let him take some flowers? He was unsure what to think at this point. Several silent moments later, branch was astonished to see one of the clouds come towards him, only to sprout arm and legs. Looking at him with a questioning yet soft facial expression. Soon after, all of the other clouds sprouted arms and legs as well. Looking to him with the same expressions. Branch stood, eyes wide and mouth jarred, trying to find the words to say. Before he had a chance to, the cloud spoke to him. "What do you mean by that"? This clouds' voice was nothing compared to how it sounded when branch saw it in the sky of the villa, instead now, it was calm and light. Branch stammered for a moment, almost sure he was hallucinating. "M-my princess back home. She had been viciously attacked, and then bitten by a fully grown frostmouth snake. I sucked as much venom out as I could, but it wasn't enough. She's back in our village, and she won't last much longer".  Branch couldn't continue his sentence. Just the thought of losing her was breaking his heart, feeling his eyes well with tears. Kneeling to the ground, face buried into the grass, he bowed before the cloud people. "Please....I beg you...Let me have just a few of the flowers. Their nectar is the only known cure for the venom in her blood. Please....let me save her". Branch pleaded. The cloud then had a light shocked expression on his face with a small mixture of concern. But soon after faded. Branch rose from his position in the grass when he noticed the sound of soft laughter. "These flowers don't cure JUST a frostmouth bite. Although, that is a very serious matter, their bite is said to be excruciatingly painful and causes several painful side effects". Branch looked to the cloud in confusion. There were more to these flowers than he knew? "These flowers can cure ANY ailment or sickness. After many have found out about that property, few of them now remain". Branch looked around to see the cloud people looking at him intently.