Chapter 5

They emerged one by one from the forest edge, ranging a dozen meters apart. The first male into the clearing fell back, allowing the other male to take the front, orienting himself around the tall, dark-haired man in a manner that clearly displayed he led the pack. The third was a woman with such feline features. Their deep burgundy eye color was rather disturbing and sinister.

                Dressed in the ordinary gear of backpackers, their clothes were frayed, and they were barefoot. The woman's brilliant orange hair was filled with leaves and debris from the woods, while the two others had finely cropped hair.

                Emmett and Jasper stepped guardedly forward to meet them, I held Bella's hand tightly, never letting her go.

                "We heard a game," the male said with the slightest of French accents. "I'm Laurent, they are Victoria and James."

                Carlisle introduced us all to the nomads. "....and Alice, Edward and Bella." The blond, James, was surprised when he heard Alice's name, he projected his thoughts quite loudly.

                "Long time no see, my dear creation. If it weren't for your talents to foresee, you would never have gotten away." I could hear his thoughts.

                "Do you have room for a few more players?" Laurent asked.

                "Actually, we were just finishing up," Carlisle matched his friendly tone. "Perhaps another times, where are your hunting grounds?"

                "We just ate outside of Seattle," he replied. I could feel Bella shiver when she heard Laurent say so.

                "We'll show you the way if you'd like to run with us-Emmett and Alice, you can go with Edward and Bella to get the Jeep," Carlisle casually added.

                Suddenly, a list of things happened simultaneously as Carlisle spoke. Bella's hair ruffled with the light breeze, I stiffened immediately, and the second male, James, suddenly whipped his head around, scrutinizing Bella, his nostrils flared.

                "Let the games begin." I heard him in his mind.

                He lurched forward into a crouch, I bared my teeth crouching in defense, a feral snarl ripping from my throat.

                "What is this?" Laurent exclaimed in open surprise.

                "She's with us," Carlisle proclaimed.

                "You brought a snack?" James asked. I snarled even more ferociously, baring my teeth, I was ready to pounce.

                James slowly straightened out of his crouch, but his eyes never left Bella, his nostrils still wide.

                We left immediately, reaching the Jeep, I flung Bella in the backseat. Alice and Emmett got in automatically as well, with Alice in the passenger seat. Emmett squeezed in with Bella. "Where are we going? Bella asked. No one answered.

                "Dammit, Edward! Where are you taking me?" She asked again.

                "We have to get you away from here," I replied.

                "No!” She yelled.

                "Emmett." I called grimly. And he secured Bella’s hands in his steely grasp. Bella struggled, “No! Edward, you can’t do this!”