Chapter One

"Mom, its not that big of a deal!" I said, as I was carrying boxes out of the patio into the truck. "Annie, it IS a big deal! Moving out is a MAJOR deal! Are you sure that you are happy with this idea? Second thoughts? Feelings? Anything?"

"I'm a little nervous, but I definitely have NO second thoughts. I'm moving in with my best friend Tori anyway! We're gonna be fine." I said.

Let me give you a little input. I'm Annie Malone, and I live in New York. My mom is currently a single mom, and she had me when she was 17. She is one of my best friends. I am 20 and a sophomore in college. I do have my own dorm, but me and my best friend Tori Carter, have planned on getting our own apartment since we were about 12.

I've known Tori ever since I was 4, and her mom was-shocker-a teen mom as well. We went to the same preschool, and ever since she accidentally hit me in the face we've been best friends.

So Tori and I got an apartment near Times Square, Manhattan. We are both very spontanious people, so we go out and do stuff in the moment all the time.

Once we got there, Tori and I stood there in the doorway.

"Well, here we are," Tori turned to me. "We really did this, did we?" She asked me. I took a deep breath. "Yup, we really did." My mom showed up behind us with Starbucks in both hands. "Oh my god, thank you," Tori said, taking a mug. "Need help with the boxes?" My mom asked us. "Sure," I said.

The hardwood floors made no noise at all as I took a step. I used to live in a 30 year old house, carpet everywhere except for the kitchen, bathrooms, foyer, and mudroom, so I was used to creaking floors. But this apartment was spacious, no carpet except for the rug in the living room, and perfect for me and Tori. Our budget was $2,500 and-get this-this place was only for $1,500. It was perfect. It's also pet friendly! Plus, it's not like one of those places that makes the apartment look good and then they make it super cheap but instead it's really the crappiest place you could ever live. Oh, no. It's amazing, the landlord is trustworthy, AND he understands people.

Once we were done with floor stuff like rugs, we brought out the chairs and couches. We put everything in the kitchen that was needed, did the bathrooms, then I did my bedroom and Tori did hers.

"Annie, I am really proud of you to have the guts to take on such a big jump in life. Your first place. Good luck," Mom said.

"Thanks, I really need it."

"Need my help anymore?"

"Nope, I think we got it from here."

"Alright, bye Tori! See you later!"

"Bye Ms. Malone,"

We waved goodbye and looked at our apartment. "It's all done," I said. "Yup," Tori replied.

"We did this, we're finally free!"

"I know, just imagine all the things we could do now."

I love Manhattan. Heck, I love New York. I love my school, Columbia University, where me and Tori begged to be roommates. We shared a dorm, and here we are in our own apartment. Boy, is life going to be different.

"Oh shoot what time is it?" Tori asked. "Shhh," I said, putting my finger to her lips, staring at the TV. "It's Friday. Time doesn't matter. Last Man Standing is on right now."

"I guess you're right. Popcorn?"

"Yes please!" I said and followed her in the kitchen. We were supposed to only get popcorn, but we managed to grab some Mountain Dew and Pepsi while we were in there.