Chapter Ten

When I thought it all out, it all made sense.

My dad left us when I was eight years old. None of us have any idea why he left, but it was very rough for my mother and me. Now that I'm almost done with college, he probably wants to be back in our lives, to see his little girl all grown up.

Well I'm not buying it.

He probably wants money. He's been a gambler for all my life, well, at least up until he left. If he still gambled, he probably blew all his money on a game of Black Jack and lost.

When I mentioned my idea to mom, she seemed intrigued, but there still wasn't enough evidence on how it could be him. For example, if it was him, how would he figure out where I moved to? My mom posted about it on Facebook, but she has a private account. 

I tried to get it out of my mind. I opened my laptop and went shopping.

I prefer going shopping in-store, but I don't think it's safe for Tori and me to leave the house at the moment.

"I think you guys should try leaving the country," Mom suggested. 

"Where?" Tori looked up from her phone. 

"I don't know, where's a place you have always wanted to visit?"

"London," I replied, trying to do a British accent.

"First of all, never do that again. Second of all, I've always wanted to go to Greece," Tori smiled.

"I love Greece!" I said.

I whipped out my phone and quickly shot a text to Tori and my mom, even though they were in the same room as me.

I told them about the fact that we shouldn't go to Greece, because they probably could have heard us through the fire escape. Not London, either.

We spent the rest of our 'conversation' on iMessage, making sure our phones were facing away from the fire escape so the credit card people couldn't see them, if they were still here.

We narrowed it down to Spain, Italy, France, South Korea, and Brazil. We eliminated Brazil because it was closest to us. We eliminated South Korea, because we didn't want to go there as much as the other options.

We decided on Italy.

My mom offered to help pay for the plane tickets. We bought first class, and we were going to be leaving on Tuesday. We tried to pick the most random day of the week to go, along with time.

We were no longer communicating via text message, because the time was 9:30 p.m. Normally, we would stay up way later than that, but we were too exhausted.

Besides, we were going to be going across the world in a couple days.