Pain, Guilt, or Both?

-Continuing from last story, after Jane finds Minnie-

{THIS IS WAY LONGER THAN I MEANT IT TO BE... A LOT HAPPENED.
Also, I used TheWomanIreneAdler and _JaneMoriarty_ versions of the RP for this. Thank you guys!! 🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤}

Jane had only said a few words before Irene had hurried to wake Jim up.
Still groggy from sleep, and unknowing to the fire he was about to be thrown into, he sleepily asked, "Darling, what's it?" And moments later, after Jane requested it, he felt a small hand fly across his cheek. Much more alert from the slap, a few curses flew from his lips.
""What was that for?!" Irene was already rushing to get ready and go see her friend.
"Minnie's in the hospital- Jane just called." At the word 'hospital', Jim sprang from bed, joining Irene in her hurry.
"Can Kate watch the twins?" He asked hastily as he pulled on a random jacket- probably not even his.
"I'll call her and ask her to." Jim was dashing down the stairs, desperate to get to where Minnie was. His chest began getting heavy as he reached the last step. His vision was blurring, and Irene's worried words were lost on him. Minnie. That's all he could think about. Not how Irene was taking him to the sofa, not even remembering to breathe. Minnie. For all he knew, she could die... what had happened after he left her flat? Did she fall, or, in her drunken haze, wander into the street? Out a window? Was there an accident of some sort? All the worst possibilities were flooding his head. Just like when they couldn't find Sebastian- when doubt raced through everyone.
When he feared Sebastian could've died.
Irene held his hands tightly, hoping to calm him down even a little bit. The last thing they needed to worry Minnie and Jane with was him taking the room next to Minnie's.
"Darling, you need to breathe." Irene encouraged, hand gently rubbing his back. Taking the muffled voice's advice, he began counting his breaths, calming himself down. Minnie will be fine, he told himself.

After about twenty minutes of working to calm Jim down, and a 20 minute drive to the hospital, Jim and Irene found themselves at the front desk, waiting to find out which room Minnie was in.
"114, Minnie Holmes." The desk attendant chirped with a (in Jim's opinion) pathetically kind smile. Jim was ready to make a mad dash there, but was stopped by a Doctor in front of Minnie's room.
"Are you here for Minnie Holmes?" He asked carefully, and Jim nodded, trying to look into the room, but to no avail.
"Is she alright?" He asked quickly, eyes desperately landing on the man. His eyes flickered to Irene, who seemed worried- but not nearly as much as Jim.
"She's doing well, considering. But... I'm sorry, she has retrograde amnesia. Unless you're a member of her immediate family, it is highly unlikely that she'll remember you..." He stared at the Doctor for a moment. His eyes betrayed him, pain already flooding through them.
"What do you mean? She 'won't remember me'? She-she has to-" He argued, before cutting himself off, "C-Can I see her?" The man's eyes flickered to Jim's companion, but he nodded anyways.
"Yes, but... carefully." He was soon off to tend to other patients. The moment his hand was on the doorknob, Jim was thrown back into reality, and he practically jumped away. Irene's fingers were still tangled with his, and she seemed even more worried than before, her eyes boring into him with a silent concern.
"Irene... if she isn't going to remember me, then-" he concentrated on keeping his breathing steady, emotions under control, "W-What about the twins?" His eyes had tears practically covering them, the salty drops reflecting the harsh hospital lights.
"We'll try to help her to remember, Jim..." Her voice was soft, almost a whisper, and much calmer than he was. He was a wreck- a c4 strapped to a timer, just itching to detonate. Tick, tick, tick.
"We'll handle it together." She reassured, eyes sympathetic to the mess of a person. She wanted to be able to fret and worry about her friend, but... then there would be no one to calm him. Tick, tick-
"Who am I even supposed to say I am!?" Boom, "Yeah, hi, I'm your ex-fiancé, and we have two kids- oh, and did I mention, that both my sister and I are in love with you?!" Suddenly, the stillness of his body was gone- any calm he'd been holding onto had dissipated in the explosion of his words. His hand was yanked from Irene's and tossed to the side to showcase his point, the other tugging manically at his hair like he was some bloody mad scientist. Not that he wasn't insane. He was insane, but at least he had the common sense and the ability to use a comb... usually. Not now.
"Does she still wear her engagement ring?" Irene's voice penetrated through the storm of all his thoughts. Yes, she did- he'd saw it...