Chapter 16

“Kelly, I’ve tried to get off the streets. Look how big I am, I quit smack, and coke. I’m taking care of myself. Kelly this is all I know. What else can I do? I mean this is all I know, and I hate it just as much as you do, but what am I to do” Lorene shrugged.

“Anything, anything but this. Be a waitress, or something” Coach Jamison.

“Oh please, as if! Look I gotta go, I just needed to get cleaned up. Thanks for everything” Lorene said standing to leave.

“Lorene wait, at least spend the night here. Get some rest, and I promise you can leave tomorrow” Coach Jamison said.

“I don’t know Kelly” Lorene said.

“Just one night” Coach Jamison said.

“Fine” Lorene said plopping down.

“Are you hungry” Coach Jamison asked.

“No, can I just go to bed” Lorene asked.

“Sure, just hold on a minute. Jo, let me have a word with you” Coach Jamison said going in the kitchen.

“Yeah” I said walking in the kit

“I need you to barrow your bed tonight. I have an air mattress for you” Coach Jamison said.

“Sure” I said.

“Great…wait you aren’t uncomfortable sleeping in the same room as Lorene are you?” Coach Jamison asked.

“Oh no, not at all” I said.

“Ok cool, wait you sure? I mean cause she can come sleep with me” Coach Jamison said a little too enthusiastic.

“You really think Kate would like another woman in your bed” I said raising an eyebrow at her.

“I mean we wouldn’t do anything like…” Coach Jamison said.

I cut her off by raising my eyebrow, and putting on my be-for-real face.

“Ok, you’re right, maybe it’s best she sleeps with you. You’re a lifesaver kid” Coach Jamison said roughing up my hair.

We went back in the living room, and explained things to Lorene. So as Lorene took a shower, I was blowing up my air mattress. Which was so much easier since she had an air pump, and I didn’t have to blow it up by mouth. As I was putting on my sheets, Lorene entered the room.

“Hi Jo” Lorene said with a smile.

“Hey” I said

Lorene sat on my bed, and I put my pillows on my air mattress.

“Sorry for putting you out your bed Jo” Lorene said.

“It’s ok” I said.

How have you been?” Lorene asked.

“Very well, and you” I asked.

“Just surviving” Lorene said.

“Cool” I said. Then an awkward silence fell over the room.

“Jo” Lorene said.

“Yeah” I said.

“Do you still have a girlfriend” Lorene asked.

“Yeah” I said.

“Did you get to do to her, what you did to me, the first time we met” Lorene asked.

“Yeah, that and a little bit more” I said.

“Did you blow her mind,. as you did mine?” Lorene asked.