Chapter 8 - Silver Viels

The sun was setting in the west and the moon began to rise in the east. Dawnwing led Stardust and Moonshadow towards the mountains after they had rested. Stardust felt the air grow colder but somehow, the cold didn't bother her. It felt familiar.

"Stardust, did you know this was the place I first found you?" Moonshadow asked. he turned his head to look at her.

Stardust nodded slowly. "I remember a bit," She replied.

Moonshadow turned and looked ahead. "Do you remember anything before I found you?"

"Yes," Stardust mewed, "I remember standing near a cliff edge and then a silver she-cat took me away into a cave. Why are you asking me this?"

"Because I want to know why your parents weren't there for you that night I found you."

"I... I don't quite remember everything." Stardust answered.

"Maybe you'll remember things later." Moonshadow hooted comfortingly.

They neared the mountain rocks and began to climb. Moonshadow found it difficult; his wounds were only just beginning to recover and he wasn't used to walking or hopping like a burrowing owl. Dawnwing led Stardust over ledges and told her to use her claws when the rocks were slippery.

"Remember, if you need any help just call and I'll help you." Dawnwing hooted.

Stardust nodded then she unsheathed her claws and crawled upwards over stones and ledges, leaping up onto huge rocks.

"Be careful !" Moonshadow called out, "Be careful not to fall."

"I won't!" Stardust replied. She had disappeared over a high ledge above him.

"I don't think she needs any help," Dawnwing hooted with amazement. "Did you teach her climb a mountain before?"

"No, but I taught her to climb a tree." Moonshadow answered.

"But climbing a tree is different from climbing rocks and mountains," Dawnwing turned to look at him. "I think she already knew how to climb a mountain before."

Moonshadow stared at Stardust. Stardust was so high above that Moonshadow had to tip his head all the way back to see her. Stardust was crouching on a ledge. There was open air between her and another ledge. If she fell, she could die from the fall or get severe injuries. Before Moonshadow could stop her, Stardust sprang from the ledge and landed safely on the other ledge. Then, she turned around and looked down at him as her amber eyes glowed. The moon was now high in the sky, it's light shone on Stardust's silver grey fur and she looked like a cat made of stars. 

She looks like a Silver Viel, Moonshadow thought, but weren't the Silver Viels wiped out by the scarred wolf?

Dawnwing hopped over to him, "That's a Silver Viel, no cat has such silver fur as her and this mountain used to be their territory."

She looked at him and Moonshadow understood; if this was near the place where he first found Stardust, then everything made sense. Stardust was good at moving around on this terrain and climbing mountains because she had done it before and she had the same silver fur as a Silver Viel. That night where he found Stardust, she was probably running away from the scarred wolf while her parents were...

"Poor cat, " Dawnwing murmured. "Lost her entire family and probably all her friends."

Moonshadow growled, "I wish that wolf never came."

"Me neither, but there's been rumors of a prophecy too," Dawnwing whispered. "A Star and a Moon will save everyone."

"What does it mean?" Moonshadow murmured.

"No one knows," Dawnwing replied, "but there's still hope for us all."