Steve's the Nice Parent

"She's fine. She's confined to the compound, currently. Vision's keeping her company."

Steve turned away. "Oh, God, Tony. Every time I think you see things the right way..." He turned and pointed the pen at Tony.

"It's a hundred acres with a lap pool. It's got a screening room. There's worse ways to protect people."

"Protection? Is that how you see this? This is protection? It's internment, Tony."

"She's not a US citizen..."

"Oh, come on, Tony.'

"And they don't grant visas to weapons of mass destruction."

"She's a kid!" Steve yelled.

"Give me a break! I'm doing what has to be done. To stave off something worse."

"You keep telling yourself that." Steve replied.

I took a deep breath. "In case you forgot Tony it was because of your weapons her parents died. And that's why she agreed to the experiments. To bring you down." I said calmly.

Tony opened his mouth. But I cut him off.

"Steve's right. Me and her are kids. But we've both been through enough that we could be considered adults."

"Oh and what was that? Losing your fiancee? You're parents? News flash my parents are dead too!" Tony yelled.

I glared. "I've been hunted since I was twelve. All because of who my father happens to be. I broke a promise to my cousin to bring his sister back to him. I watched as a friend died! I blame myself for several deaths! I handed a kid a knife that he killed himself with! I watched my whole world crumble in one day!" I yelled at him, cursing the tears that spilled down my face.

"And I blame myself." I whispered before plopping down in my seat.

The two of them stared at me silent. Obviously neither of them had any idea on what to do with that knowledge.

Finally Steve put the pen back on the table. "Hate to break up the set."

Steve walked out and I looked at Tony who had put on his glasses.

He looked at me. "What?"

I chuckled. "If my family showed a fraction of the amount you cared in that moment everyone would have a heart attack."

Do I need to just keep listening to your conversation?

Dad! This is an invasion of privacy!

I could read your diary.

I don't even have a diary! Just please stop please.

I do care you know.

Just stop. Please.

Okay...love you.

Dad! You're mentally embarrassing me!

"Nat wants you to come watch the evaluation with us." Tony read a text.

"Okay." I wiped my tears away before heading to the viewing area with Tony.