Four

Endana

"We must do something." I held The Anax's icy stare without yielding, knowing this was worth the risk of a lashing. He needed to see the reason and wisdom of this plan. He had to, or we were all doomed.

The sword in the possession of my sister was the only thing that would hold any sway over Maxim Brevil. I had seen a hint of what he could do if he so desired, and I had no wish to see more destruction.

Four years ago, Maxim Brevil had unleashed a horror upon a nearby town, devastating everyone in it. I had just been promoted to a Virtuoso and was on call when the event happened. I rushed to the town with three other Virtuosos and a hoard of soldiers, but we were too late.

Maxim Brevil didn't leave anyone alive, and by the time we reached where he was casting his curses, only several people were left alive. I challenged him, foolishly, and didn't stand a chance. Brevil struck me down on the second blow, and I still have a scar on my back from that day.

When I awoke weeks later in the infirmary, Arisia had explained what happened. The rest of the Virtuosos managed to save what was left of the town, and Maxim Brevil slipped away in the chaos, disappearing until now.

Not even the women and children survived his attack. And to this day we still had no clue why he chose that town, that day, to attack. As far as I could tell, he gained nothing but his reputation. He caused grievance all across the Empire. We all felt the loss as our own, and I could still picture the day like it was yesterday.

As I focused back on the present, the Anax's eyes were still watching me. I blinked, breaking the gaze as I glanced about the meeting room. Shomari, the Anax's general, was focused on a pile of maps and documents spread across the marble table. Busara, the Anax's forecaster, had his eyes tightly shut, as if in pain. But I knew better. The man worked better without other distractions to bother him.

"Endana, I can't risk you going into the heart of the Guild, no matter the reason." The Anax, his hair ruffled and tunic wrinkled from a long night, turned back to the parchment covered table. He sagged in his seat, weariness evident across his usually strong features.

"We don't have another choice," I insisted.

"We don't even know if weapons like that exist. To risk my captain on such a flimsy hope is a fool's errand." The Anax shook his head. "You are not going and that is my final word."

I sucked in a breath, holding back the retort hovering on my lips. I knew better to push him when he took on that tone. But I knew this was our only shot. We had to take advantage of it, before Brevil caught on and made it impossible to stop whatever he had planning this time.

I pushed the worn book across the table to the Anax, the book still opened to the page on the four swords. "This book is the only lead we have to stopping him," I said, my voice quiet and respectful. "If we don't get that sword, then what chance do we stand against him?" As I recalled the horror he had wreaked on that town, the scar down my back tingled. I rubbed a hand along it, my face pinched slightly.

The Anax clasped his hands together, sighing deeply. He bowed his head. "Choose someone else."

Confusion swirled in my mind and I blinked. "What?"

"I cannot risk you. But if this is indeed our only hope at stopping him, then send someone else. Someone expendable."

I opened my mouth to argue, to tell him this mission couldn't be trusted on anyone else's shoulders, but he raised a hand to silence me.