30: Chess

I was playing chess with grandfather in his office. It was late in the night while we were in our third round. Since its been a while, I ended up indulging the old man desires to play.

"Who do you think can take on the CEO position?"

I knew grandfather is currently troubled with the news of his CEO being diagnose with cancer. While he undergo treatment, the responsibilities were split among the 4 vice presidents. But it was only a temporary fix. A new CEO would need to be selected and no one know who James Lind would choose.

"Grandpa, you know your people better than me"

"I want to hear from a third party"

"From your VPs, I think Reid can handle the CEO position"

"Temporary" My grandfather countered.

"He'll at least be able to hold the fort until you find an appropriate successor"

"Umm..." He made a noncommittal sound while I waited for him to make the next move on the board.

"I'm curious grandpa" I finally look up from the chess board. "Why you never move your king?"

In chess, I noticed the old man never touch the king piece. Even when I check him, he always divert my attacks by using another chess piece.

"You'll lose if you don't" I made the point to check his king piece.

Instead of moving his king, he placed his bishop in front. When my queen ate his bishop, he had his knight kill my queen instead of his king. I smiled since I knew it was what he would do. I check mate him with my pawn eating his knight and clearing the path for my knight and rook. This all could have been avoided if he moved his king.

"Is it hesitation or pride?" I asked him.

"The time isn't right"He leaned back in his chair while still studying our game.

"So you're willing to sacrifice others until your king is ready?" I poke fun at him. "I didn't think you value this king so much"

"Others can be easily replaced"

But a King is hard to substitute. I could hear his unspoken words.

"Sacrifice too much and you'll still lose your king in the end"

I reached for my purse and stood up. Smiling softly, I look at the old man who was still studying the game board.

"It's not like you to coddle anyone grandpa"

I left my grandfather alone to his thoughts.