─── ∙ ⋆★ CHAPTER II

CHAPTER TWO

( NOT A MURDERER )

WHAT HAD JUST happened?

Artemis and Beau quickly jogged down the marbled floor of the justice building, passing by a number of well designed statues on display on little tables. They approached two dark wooden doors in the center of the building with several Peacekeepers on the sides of the door.

Artemis tuck a stray piece of hair that had fallen from her bun behind her ear as she tried to steady her breathing. She motioned for Beau to let the Peacekeeper know why they were there. With a questioning brow towards his friend Beau spoke up. "Hello, our names are Beau Hammond and Artemis Cross. We're close friends with Peeta Mellark, the Tribute,"

The two guards turned and looked at each other before grabbing Beau's hand and pricking it with a needle and smearing his bloodied thumb print on a sheet of paper. Artemis's adrenaline was already pumping, she held out her thumb and let the Peacekeeper do the same to her. This time there was no jump when it pricked her. She just wanted to see her best friend.

As soon as they released them, Artemis grabbed on to the bronze door handle and flew the door open, leaving Beau to close it behind him. She barely heard the guard say "Four minutes,"

Peeta's expression was shocked yet numb as he gazed up at his two friends. He had been leaning up against the back of the red velvet couch, staring at the forest scenery. He was certain it was the last he would see of it.

Artemis had never been so scared to let anyone go into the arena before. She couldn't help but suck in a stifled deep breath before letting a couple tears run down her face. "Hey guys," Peeta greeted with a hoarse voice.

Artemis couldn't make out whether the hoarseness came from him crying or if the fear had gotten to him. She couldn't hold it back. Her face felt like it erupted into a frown, her breath started staggering and more tears had become visible as they streaked her cheeks. She crossed the room, sat beside him, and wrapped her arms around his neck and sobbed on to his shoulder.

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so, sorry," She repeated herself over and over again as he began to run her back in reassurance. He gazed over her shoulder and up towards Beau who seemed to be looming over the pair. "Has anyone else been to see you?" He questioned the Tribute.

Peeta gazed away from Beau's eyes to look outside momentarily as he shook his head solemnly. It was a lie and of course Beau could see through it. "What did she do?" He hissed out.

Artemis wiped her eyes and scooted away from Peeta to see his expression as he told them what had happened. "She said maybe District Twelve would have a winner. Not me," He mumbled out.

Artemis could feel a fire start inside her, though they had not mentioned it directly his family had come to visit him before them and his mother was being as cruel as always. "One day she's gonna -" Artemis started with a heated tone but was interrupted with a knock on the door.