─── ∙ ⋆★ CHAPTER III

CHAPTER THREE

( CHANCES DON'T MEAN ANYTHING )

ARTEMIS WOKE UP to streams of sunlight beaming across her face

ARTEMIS WOKE UP to streams of sunlight beaming across her face. She pitifully sighed as she put an arm over her eyes. Was it morning already? It had been almost eight days since the Reaping occurred, and her best friend, Peeta, had been forcefully taken away.

Things weren't exactly the same without him. Her talks with Beau were more stressed than usual, walking through town seemed lonely, she even caught herself absentmindedly strolling over to the bakery from time to time.

The events on television weren't exactly always exciting, the first week they had been training for the games. Doing interviews. Those were basically to get anyone in the Capitol to give him an advantage in the arena.

He had confessed his undying love to Katniss on live television which made Artemis laugh a bit. She had always remembered him calling her cute but, never telling them he had an unclaimed love for her.

They gave the tributes their scores for the arena. Peeta rightfully earned a score of eight. She was in total shambles as the games started. She didn't want to watch them in fear that Peeta was going to get killed in the bloodbath. Surprisingly he didn't. He ran away. That was smart. Yesterday was the second day of the games. He had joined a group from District One and Two. Peeta was still alive. But, for how much longer?

Her stomach gurgled angrily.

Artemis built up enough energy to push herself out of bed and walk down stairs to her parents. She strolled into the kitchen to find her mother spreading her homemade ham on top of a piece of bread. The bread must have just been delivered from the Mellark's since the loaf looked New as opposed to the one they had been eating. Peeta's father had to have dropped it off. Out of pity or because her father requested an order she didn't know. She didn't want to ask just in case.

"Good morning, sweetheart," Serena chirped greeting her daughter with a smile. Usually Artemis would fake one back, but she hadn't had the energy to do so since Reaping Day. Instead she just placed an elbow on the table and looked at the outside world through the kitchen window.

Serena threw a concerned look at Torq. They noticed how depressed she had been for the past few days. They just didn't know how to approach it. Torq shrugged towards Serena, crossing his was over to his daughter, and numbly rubbed Artemis's back in comfort as he handed her a piece of bread. "You know you can talk to us," He urged as he walked over to the counter to pour hot water in his cup.

Artemis sighed as she chewed on the piece of bread looking as if she were going to talk. Then, came a long exasperated sigh from across the room. Artemis rolled her eyes.

Katherine's constant whining was in full play this morning as she woke up to find out that breakfast was once again just a piece of bread. She scrunched up her nose in disgust at the offering. "Can't we barter?" She whined. She picked up the piece with two fingers like it was diseased.