chapter xv. // fall

Hannah’s House

Tuesday, 10th February 2014 6:30pm

“Ok, seriously, you need to take me with you on your little ‘Vamps Adventures’!” Hannah curled up on her sofa, leaning over her chemistry notes. She dropped her pen to make air quotations with her fingers around ‘Vamps Adventures’. “Oh my God, ‘Vamps Adventures’?” I giggled, but Hannah looked at me with a blank expression. “Poppy, you’re dating someone from a band. Do you even realise how big a deal this is?” she picked up her pen and drew a line down my lower arm before I could react. “Hey, Tris is exactly like any other normal guy.” I retaliated, crossing my arms.

“An asshole?” Hannah grinned, trying to twist my words.

“You know what I mean.” I smirked, getting back to my homework.

“Well, in future, ask Joe if I can come with. Maybe James will fall for me...” She fluttered her eyelids and folded her hands under her chin as if daydreaming.

“Speaking of Joe...” I suddenly felt my phone buzzing in my pocket and I unlocked it to see Joe’s contact picture up on the screen, “Hey, Joe, what’s up?” I asked.

“Hi Poppy, Connor fell off stage.” I heard his accent come through the phone from the other end of the line. “No way!” I burst out laughing. “What? What happened?” Hannah pushed my shoulder back and forth so I put the phone on loudspeaker. “Con fell of stage!” I whispered to Hannah. “I heard that!” Connor’s voice came through the phone, “Sorry, Con. It’s pretty funny. Did Dean catch it on camera?”

“You bet he did. I think half the people in the audience caught it on video.” I could tell Joe was holding back his laughter. Meanwhile, Hannah was clutching her stomach on the floor and crying with laughter. “Can you Skype me or something? I gotta see this...”

“Sure. See you in a minute.” Joe hung up and I reopened my laptop I had been using for homework. Within a minute, Connor’s online icon came on and a request from him came up. By now, Hannah was back on the sofa and had mopped up most of her tears.

“Connor!” I greeted him as his and Joe’s face popped up on the screen. “We’re at the hospital.” Con said with a sigh, holding up his arm which was in a sling. “Wow, are you alright?” Hannah asked. “Oh, I’m smashing!” He managed a grin and prodded his arm “It kinda hurt but because I’m so brave and strong I only cried for twenty minutes.” He chuckled, hinting sarcasm in his voice. “Oh, count on you to get injured.” I said. “I know, right? It’s always this one,” Joe pointed to Con’s head and sighed, “We got some cool headphones though.” He held up a pair of brand new Beats headphones.

“Oooh, fancy. Get me a pair!” Hannah replied.

I could hear some more talking in the background and Joe and Con turned to look at the receptionist who called out their names. “That’s us. We better go.” Connor said, waving with his one good hand. “See you later girls!” Joe and Connor waved their goodbyes and their faces disappeared from my screen.

“Connor is adorable,” Hannah leaned back into the sofa, “They were all really nice actually. I wanna go see them again! You’re lucky you see them all the time.”

“Don’t moan, Han, I’ll get you to see them as soon as possible.” I replied.

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

“You’re the best friend ever, Poppy. The best sort of friends let their best friends come and see their famous boyfriend’s band.” She flailed her arms about in frustration.

“Hey, without you I would never of even met them. You’re the best best friend.” I wrapped my arms around her, losing my balance and pulling her off of the sofa with me so we landed on the wooden floor of Hannah’s living room with a painful thud. “Owwww...” I groaned. “You idiot.” Hannah said before we burst out laughing.