I dreamt it

The feel of manual labor, how I’ve missed it.

“Annabelle, can you groom that horse please? Third stall.”

“Yes sir.”

My beauty.

Lyric.

“Be careful with Ol’ Lyric there, she can be rather feisty. Doesn’t really like anyone.”

Gingerly I put out my hand, hoping she would remember.

A snort escaped before she bucked the wall.

“Sh, Lyric, it’s okay.”

I watched her ears twitch at the sound of my voice and a gleam of recognition cross her features.

She nuzzled my hand, allowing me to enter.

I stepped in the stall, hugging her ever so slightly.

“Well look at that. She’s never taken to anyone before.

What is your secret Annabelle?

Are you a witch?”

“I am no witch.” I laughed, brushing Lyric’s mane. “I’m just good with animals I suppose.”

“What else are you good at?”

Am I good at anything?

Yes.

Being a fool.

“You shouldn’t have to think so hard for an answer.

I’m sure there’s something.”

“No. Nothing. I’m just an ordinary woman. Nothing special about me.”

“There’s something special about you, something big, I’ll figure it out.”

If the witch is real, you’ll never figure it out.

“I saw you come from the woods.”

“Saw who come from the woods sir?”

“This wench here.”

The palace guard went to grab me, but Lyric stopped him, rising onto her back legs.

“I wouldn’t touch her guard. The prince’s horse has taken a liking to her.”

“Probably from the witches magic. She’s trying to steal his heart.”

“My good sir, I did come from the woods, I was hiding from a group of thieves-”

“Thieves?” I knew that would catch your interest. “Where did they go? Why did you not inform me sooner?”

“I did not inform you earlier because you were busy accusing me of witch craft. Learn some respect for the people you protect.”

“Yes ma’am. Sorry. Do you remember which way the thieves went?”

“Towards the chapel. Go now, get them before the prince hears of your impotence.”

The guard slightly bowed before running off, leaving Joshua to stare.

“Are you positive you’re not a witch? He listened to you as if you were queen.”

He did, didn’t he?

“I can assure you I am not a witch. However, that guard was correct. I was at the witch’s cabin, not to steal the prince’s heart, but to keep myself protected.

I have a tendency of, getting hurt.”

_____

“The work day is over Annabelle, would you like me to accompany you home?”