Propose to Me?

The Proposal

The rain smells so beautiful. The rain dances with me down a lonely street. An unspoken language between the both of us. The dreams of others splash on the tip of my eyelashes when I look at the hungry sky, one who seems to be waiting for answers.

Today is the day.

My vision alights with pleasure. The mere thought of a various amounts of shiny diamonds meticulously, almost delicately put on a certain gold band. With him looking up at me with all the love and desire only he could possess. My cheeks hurt from the sunshine pouring through my teeth.

Today is the day.

He doesn't know i'll be home a little earlier than usual.

But today is a special day.

Anniversary. My birthday..

None of those actually matter

Because today is the day.

I hear nothing when I step in the door. I quietly put the keys down.

He told me he hates the rattling.

There's a thud.

Laughter.

Huh.

He shouldn't be home. There's a...meeting today. Maybe- maybe he left the tv on. I sigh happily thinking maybe...Just maybe this is the rest of my life.

Or not.

I think of nothing.

I think of nothing when I hold the door open.

I think of nothing when I see you.

"Will you marry me" I hear you whisper. "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me"

You're not alone. Nor are you looking at me.

Those aren't rehearsed lines you're whispering in a mirror to. You whisper those sweet words to the cheek of a woman that is not me.

There is an empty little black box, crumpled and defeated on top of our covers.

There's a flash of a golden object with shiny diamonds meticulously crafted in the band between your two fingers.

I think that wet tears have caught my eyelashes and fallen on my cheek.

Today is the day.

Anniversary. My Birthday..

It didn't matter.

Today...was the day.