one

"He's my what?"

"He's your husband."

"Husband? What? There's no way." Carrie shook her head, gripping the cup in her hand tighter.

"Honey you had a really bad accident. You lost your memory." Carole placed her hand on Carrie's leg softly. Carole's face was full of fear and pain.

"I would remember if I was married Mom. I've never seen that man before."

"I know this is scary for you. There's a lot of things you don't remember. About the last ten years of your life are gone right now. But the doctors are hoping it's just temporary."

"But-but" Carrie shook her head, not being able to put her confusion into words.

"It's okay to be confused. That's why I'm here."

"So, I'm really married? He's my husband?" Carrie's head was pounding. She still couldn't process anything her mother was telling her.

"Yes. His name is Mike Fisher."

"How long have we been married?" Carrie asked.

"Five years. You were celebrating your anniversary when you got in the accident."

"We don't have children, do we?"

"No not yet. You were thinking about it though." Carole explained.

"Oh. Is he a good person? Do you like him?"

"More than anything. I couldn't have asked for a better person for you to end up with. I know you don't remember, but I promise that you love him more than anything in the world and he loves you even more." Carole smiled softly at her daughter.

"I don't remember any of it." Carrie frowned.

"I know, it's okay. He'll be patient with you."

Carrie looked down at her water and thought for a moment.

"Can you bring him back in here?"

"Of course." Carole smiled. She leaned forward and kissed Carrie's forehead. "I love you sweetheart."

"I love you too Mom." Carrie smiled. She gave her mom a hug, careful not to mess up any of the wires and IVs she had attached to her.

Carole left and Carrie anxiously sat waiting for Mike. Her head was spinning with questions-she'd never been so confused.

Carrie looked up when she heard a knock on the opened door.

"Hey." He said nervously, walking slowly into the room.

"Hey." Carrie forced a small smile to her face.

"How are you feeling?" Mike stood by her bed, his hands in his pockets, suddenly feeling as awkward as ever.

"My head still hurts pretty bad, but I'm okay." Carrie said. "What happened?"

"We were on our way home from dinner. A drunk driver swerved into our lane and hit your side of the car." Mike sat down in the chair beside Carrie's hospital bed. "You were unconscious for about fourteen hours."

"Are you hurt?"

"No, just a couple cuts and bruises. I'm fine." Mike smiled.

"And the driver?"

"He's fine too. He's in jail." Mike explained.

"Oh." Carrie looked down and messed with the sheets.

"I'm sorry for freaking out on you earlier. And for not remembering you. I know this must be hard." Carrie added. She looked up and made real eye contact for the first time.

"It's okay. It's not your fault." Mike shrugged. It hurt Carrie to see him so upset and know that she was the cause of it. She hated that she couldn't remember anything.

"I guess we've got a lot of catching up to do." Carrie giggled slightly. "It sounds like I've missed a lot."

"You want me to stay?"

"Of course I do. Why would I want you to leave?" Carrie asked confused.

"You don't know who I am."

"No I don't, but obviously you mean a lot to me if we've been married for five years. I fell in love with you once, I'm sure that I can do it again." Carrie smiled softly.

A smile spread across Mike's face as relief washed over him.

"I promise that I'll take things as slow as you want and be as patient as possible. Whatever you want, I'll do. I'll tell you anything you want to know about us."

"I want to know everything."

"Everything?" Mike chuckled, raising his eyebrow.

Carrie smiled.

"Everything."