The Demon Sword Sorataki: Life's Candle Prologue

Keelko

Keelko

He tossed a coin under a moonlit sky, hearing its humming assent in the silent night, watching it glisten in the corner of his eye. The moment it fell into his open palm he clapped the coin over the back of his other hand cutting its hums to a halt. Anticipation builds as he slowly lifts his hand to see the verdict...

Heads, his gunslinger's eyes narrowed to the outcome. Face unreadable he readjusts his black, wide-brimmed fedora to better shield his eyes. For today, Keelko the veteran hunter was at crossroads. This seemingly innocent game of heads and tales held holding t the burden of a heavy choice.

Should I kill him, or not?

Wind tousled his long trench coat revealing the hilt of his katana. Leaning on the support of a balcony five stories high of an old prison cell Keelko looked over the ghost town of Ekateria. This had become a routine day to be sure. Standing guard and waiting was all part of the contract. But still, that just left Keeklo's mind to keep churning over this troubling current predicament.

The hum of his coin as he flicked it, again and again, helped break the silence. It helped steady his mind and see this complex mess on one side or the other. He just had to make a choice. Keelko was a gambler by heart, he was a risk-taker. Many would call him either extremely crazy or extremely lucky. And although both of them things held truth, not many things are found in the extremes much less people. For Keelko it was a small blend of both, he did have a winning streak when it came to games of chance, but it was not all blind luck as most would believe. There was a pattern to things to things, a flow to factors and fortune that can be followed if you have the eyes for it. Keelko had those eyes. 

It was his affinity, enhanced by the power of the demonic sword that he wielded. With them, he can feel chance playing its hand around him. With that and knowing all the moving pieces at play, he was able to build a solid repetition for himself as one of the most skilled bounty hunters in the world. And in a world where some men had powers able to destroy a mountain range that wasn't half bad. With the right factors and timing, whether it be gambling or hunting, Keelko was confident that he could take on anyone and turn any odds. That was until he came here. The distant echo of engines broke the silent night ahead of him. In the distance, he spots the glint of headlights creeping over the horizon as three black vans slithered their way down the sinister town. Engine-powered transports. Vehicles that were only spoken of in the time before the fog wars. Sure the Dragon Empire had reverse-engineered the tech but they'd hardly got it off the ground for their military campaign yet alone industrial or civilian use. And that is speaking nothing of trading their tech outside their borders.

To Keelko this was an unknown factor, a piece of the puzzle that he could not fit anywhere and that bothered him. As the vans made their way towards the three-story steel gate the ground became alive with movement. Men swiftly ruan into place to open the gate and welcome the drivers into their private compound.