Chapter 11: From the depths

Keelko

He would have rather had gotten his attire replaced before he stood where he found himself right now, a huge dark room shaped like an aircraft garage. To the back of him was the long flight of steps that led four stories down into the godforsaken pit. It would be behind him if only he could see that far from where he stood. Instead, all he could really see in front of him was darkness. The damn stuff was as thick enough to make him beryl see his hand wave in front of his face.

"And you say that they also got away, saved by this other group of people. One of them you claimed to be the girl I'm looking for?" Maximilus said, his voice chimed through the hollow place in a location some way just above him.

He took a moment to look at the only slithers of light seeping through the roof of the large room. Not enough to aluminate anything within it but still served as a point of reference to keep his bearing on which way is what.

Why would Maximilus want to meet up in such a place?

Perhaps he liked the secluded corners of his own leer; this passing though etched an amused grin on his features for a moment. His request to meet him here was more likely because he did not want any of the hunters up in the main building to overhear anything that he discusses as most of them are working under him without knowing his true identity.

"If you'd not kept the details of her so close to the chest then I'd likely have a more solid confirm for you,"

"And what 'details' might you be referring to?" Maximilus said in a low tone.

His silent response was all Maximilus needed to prove his point. It was not a lack of information that prevented him from giving him a definitive answer; he's been near and around Maximilus long enough to overhear his convocations and seen enough of his talents to have a fair grasp on who his enemies are. At least a fair bit more than he's calming to know.

It was then that he took note of the other two presences within the room other than him and Maximilus. Although he could not see them or make out who they were he just knew that they stood there trying to be silent, perhaps standing just in front of Maximilus. The thought of them trying there utmost to hide their presence from him made him one part amused and another part insulted. Of course, he knew they were there. He'll play coy for the time being until there intent was revealed to him.

"As I suspected, you're wasting my time," Maximilus said almost to himself.

"What I assumed I know hardly matters at this point, whether it's 'B67' or not the fact still stands that you have yet another bunch of people hell-bent on fishing you out. And if you could see the state of my clothes then you'd know that for what it's worth they are not small timers."

Not small timer's maybe but I would not call them a big deal either,

"But this is why you have me here, right? I'm your reliable disposal man, and with a small fee I can make your problems go away,"

He could sense Maximilus eye's narrow through the suspect hum he had in his tone.

"No, you've already left a gaping mess in my operations with your sloppy work, and I already confirmed it's her before you came back," Maximilus said.

"And it's a mess I can quickly fix as long as you're willing to pay me double our agreed upon arrangement. You know well of my clean hit record, just give me a motive and I'll give you ahead."

Maximilus replied with a condescending scoff that chimed through the chamber.

"There will be no such agreement, I'm well aware of your 'reputation'; you'd play your contractors like fiddles to get a tip on your work for spooks in the fables that you would inform them of,"