Chapter 3

~Lola's Point of View~

        As I walked around the Farmer's Market, putting somethings in the basket I had every now and then. I hummed a song from my childhood...sort of. I was actually 12 when this song came around. It was from my favorite TV show...The Monkees. Every Saturday morning, I remember waking up early and going over to the Curtis' house - a family who took me in like their own - and watching The Monkees. I had such the biggest crush on Peter Tork, the guys who were like my bodyguards, always made fun of me when I shoved everyone out of the way when I ran to the TV to change it to The Monkees. And when Peter came on screen, all my 'bodyguards' made kissy faces at me. I grew up with a lot of immature people.

"I know her mind alright, your auntie Grizelda..." I sang quietly as I looked for some good apples. Soon, I heard someone singing the next line.

"She says she knows my kind, she might, maybe so..." I looked up and saw a girl my age, maybe a little older next to me, picking through the pears next to the apples. She looked up at me and smiled. "I thought I was the only one who remembered The Monkees, let alone, that song." she said with a laugh. I grinned and shrugged.

"Peter was always my favorite." I admitted with a smile. She shook her head and chuckled. "Peter was always adorable, but I always like Mike. Even though he was married." she said with a laugh.

"I'm Strawberry. Strawberry Fields." she said to me, sticking out her hand.

"Lola Cade." I said, shaking her hand.  "Are you new here?" Strawberry asked me. I smiled and nodded my head.

"Yep. Just got here yesterday."

"Oh! Well, welcome to Heartland. I'm sure you'll like it here."

"Thank you!"

        We both walked around the Farmer's Market, looking for stuff and talking about The Monkees and she was telling me about Heartland.

"Yeah, I've lived here since I was 10. So pretty much my whole life. It's a really nice town. Small, but nice." Strawberry told me.

"It looks nice." I replied, looking around and taking in my surroundings.  "And the people are really nice too. Friendly." she added on.

"I can tell." looking around at the people and when they caught my eye, would smile at me. And also, remembering David. I couldn't help but smile.

"Oh, I know a smile like that anywhere. Your second day here Lola, and already interested with someone?" Strawberry questioned, looking at me with a smirk. I blushed and quickly shook my head.

"No! I-I-I can't! I came here with my boyfriend. I can't be interested in David!" I said quickly, but covered my mouth when I said his name. Strawberry's eyes went wide and her mouth followed suit. "D-David? David Henderson? How do you know David?" she asked me.

        I still had my hands over my mouth and shook my head quickly. I didn't want to be labeled as a skank in a new town. "Lola, you can tell me. I won't judge you." Strawberry assured me, as if she read my thoughts.

        I hesitated for a moment before sighing and uncovering my hands. "I met him yesterday. I was getting boxes out of the moving van and David walked over and asked if I needed help. Then we talked for a bit but my boyfriend came out and had me go inside." I explained, looking at the floor. I looked up at Strawberry slightly, with a guilty look on my face probably. I've been told I wear my heart on my sleeve. "How do you know him?" I asked her.

"He's best friends with my boyfriend. He's actually one of my best friends too." Strawberry told me with a smile.  She put an arm around my shoulder and steered me out of the Farmer's Market.

"C'mon, I want you to meet some people." she told me as we walked away from the market.