GUIDED TOUR - The Outer Limits

"Turn around, Samihah. Look at the view down the hill. Isn't it breathtaking?"

Thomasina Hobson's smile never wavered, never flickered. And it never reached her eyes, either. Those were ice blue and burning. Her perfectly coifed blond hair didn't allow for a single strand out of place, and even after spending half the morning with the visitors, her pantsuit showed no wrinkles.

Obediently, Samihah Shah turned around on her seat in the limo bringing the VIP guests, namely herself and her "husband", and their hosts to the white building perching on the hillside behind the hospital proper. While the hospital was open to the public and famous worldwide, the Research Center was closed and security was tight.

The view was enchanting. The resort and village sneaking on the narrow strip of land between the hills and sea gleamed in the sun. The marina could be seen to the left, resting next to the resort's water sports facility, where small crafts like wave runners and wind gliders in bright colors pinpointed the deep blue water. The over-solicitous Thomasina opened a compartment on the limousine back seat console and fished a pair of binoculars, handing them to Samihah, who handed them immediately to her "husband". The gentleman pulled the visual aid to his eyes and aimed them at the marina, where he quickly located the boat he was seeking. With a smile, he returned the binoculars to Samihah and pointed, telling her what to look for in Farsi.

"Oh, here we are, Sid Alif," said Oliver with a sigh.

The car had come to a stop at the Center's front entrance and the back doors were opened from the outside, allowing the riders to disembark. Stepping out of the car, Samihah's breath caught in her throat. The building was almost a stone by stone copy of Genomex. The only differences were the position, the Center being attached to the side of a hill, whereas Genomex was by the sea, and the color. Where Genomex was painted a yellowish cream, this building was pristine white, the painting unblemished. The same two story grand entrance with its glass double doors, giving way to a marble lobby and staircase leading to the upper floors, the right and left wings with marble floored corridors and hallways, the art-deco feel belying the high tech interiors that would certainly replace it once the visitor penetrated deeper in the facility's belly. Samihah stole a glance at her "husband", but his face registered nothing, not surprise, not awe, not amazement, just mild curiosity.

Oliver and Harrison handed the visitors their passes. "Welcome to St. Clair Pharmaceuticals Research Center, Sid Alif and Samihah. This way, please."

With obvious delight, Ken Harrison took over the role of tour guide and opened every door leading to every laboratory on the first floor. "These are the 'almost' public labs, where we conduct the front aspects of our work. Here, we develop vaccines for a plethora of diseases. We have actually a very promising agent to combat both Hanta and Ebola. And it will come cheap, too. Well, once it's established and defined. Dose number two will cost just a few cents to countries buying in bulk to inoculate entire populations. Dose number one, on the other hand, will cost a couple of dozen million."

"This is true of every new medicine, Dr. Harrison," interrupted Oliver. "The first pill costs a fortune; the second, a pittance."

"Very true, Mr. St. Clair," Samihah agreed. "And you have fantastic equipment and installations here. I'm impressed."

"Not as much as you will be, my dear lady," smiled Oliver. "Follow me, please."

At a signal of the silver haired man, the wall behind the reception desk and under the marble and wrought iron staircase slid to the left, opening the way to the inner belly of the building. The party passed under the arch and there it was, before Samihah's eyes, in all its glory, making use of one among the many caves that hollowed St. Mallots Island hills, the circular hallway of Genomex, all steel and glass, silver being the primary color. The lighted dome gave the immense room a majestic, almost cathedral-like quality, a temple to invasive science and technology.