Chapter 22

Before the buses set off for departure, the teachers informed us that the journey towards Badgers Valley would take approximately two and a half hours. It was a fair distance to travel, but I figured since I would have my headphones in me the whole time it wouldn't feel nearly as long. Whilst listening to albums of my favourite musicians, I closed my eyes to try and savour the sounds I was hearing. I had to do this because unfortunately even with the volume turned up to the loudest setting I could still hear the laughter and noise coming from the people who sat towards the back of the bus. After tolerating the distraction for more than half an hour, I hastily rip my headphones from my ears and turn my sour expression towards Mary.

"Why must they be so loud?" I grumble.

"Not a clue. I've given up trying to listen to music." She comments while wrapping her headphones around her phone.

I release a sign of defeat before sinking back down into my chair. Only a couple hours longer and you won't need to hear their voices I try reminding myself, even though I'm not convinced of truth behind that thought at all. I fold my arms across my body and close my eyes in frustration. I'm not sure when it happens, but somewhere between feeling annoyed and exhausted I slowly begin to drift off into a somewhat peaceful sleep.

~

"Atlanta, wake up we're here!" I hear someone say from beside me.

When I finally open my eyes, I notice Mary is shaking me awake and fiddling with her belongings. I instantly feel more awake upon hearing good news and so quickly give myself a stretch of relief before reaching to grab my own backpack from above me. I silently follow everyone else around me and make my way off the bus before looking for Mary in the crowd. Only once I've found her do I pause to take in the scenery around me. Badgers Valley is surprisingly breathing taking with its alpine views and lush greenery. Despite standing in the valley, the fact that we're surrounded by mountains and rivers paints quite the spectacular picture.

"It's so beautiful." Says Mary from beside me.

"It is." I instantly agree, before redirecting my attention to the loud voice speaking behind us.

"Gather around students, stop your talking as what I'm about to tell you is important information. Seeing as though we've all made it safe and soundly, what we must do next is unload all the luggage and have you all escorted to your cabins where you will be bunking and staying for the next three days. Now before any of you even begin to ask me, let me make it very clear that males and females are under strict orders to not bunk in the same cabins nor enter each other's cabins under any circumstances. Once you've collected your luggage you will find a Badgers Valley guide who will then escort you to your cabin. Please thank them before leaving and let's hope we all have a wonderful next few days here." Announces Mr Adams who is standing on the entry steps of one of the buses.

Within seconds, students begin to scramble around trying to collect their luggage. I see no point in rushing and so instead decide to wait until the end. Finally, once I've collected my small suitcase I find Mary waiting for me with an worrisome look on her face.

"What's wrong?" I immediately ask her.

"Just wondering who we will be bunking with." She answers.

"I almost forgot about that." I confess, suddenly becoming concerned myself as to who Mary and I will potentially have to share a cabin with.

After introducing ourselves to one of the guides, we follow an older man by the name of Eric who escorts us down a narrow pathway. A hundred or so metres later, we arrive in front of large wooden cabins that are  neatly aligned and built to endure the natural environment around us.

"Here we are girls, if you have any questions feel free to ask me." Smiles Eric, before leaving Mary and I to see who is staying inside the cabin with us.

"Ready?" Asks Mary with an apprehensive look.

"No." I honestly say before taking the initiative to step in front of her and into the cabin.

At first glance, the inside of the cabin appears to be rather warm with its earthly tones and wooden floors. As I step further into the room I notice a fair few pieces of furniture are wooden also that provide another inviting element to their entire layout of the place. Before I can get anymore carried away however, I hear the dreaded voice of the last person I ever wanted to be sharing a cabin you.

"Oh. Hi." Stephanie says in a disinterested voice before sauntering away with as little care as possible.

"You have got to kidding me." I quietly mumble to myself before shutting my eyes tightly in pure agony.