[5]

It's quiet, too quiet as he waits for her to say something. He wonders if maybe she heard his voice through the door. He faintly hears footsteps, then they're loud thumps as she comes to open the door, eyes widening when she already sees him there in front of her.

"You accepted?" She seems stunned, like she can't believe he would go out of his way to do this, but what other choice was he given? Had he said no, he'd sure be out a job right now.

He nods, a bit sheepish as he realizes that she was really not aware of this.

"I tried to warn you, but you never answered my texts." She slumps, ending the call that shouldn't have still been going on. She opens her messages, the long string of texts Leon sent on her screen.

"I was busy," is all she can say. She sighs, dropping her gaze to the floor and gasping. "Oh dear God, I'm not even dressed appropriately." Leon's gaze flickers down to her sock covered feet, moving up until he sees she's in sleep shorts and a long shirt.

"Clothing isn't the problem. I think I might be way over my head for coming here." She pushes him out of the way, headed back the way Leon came.

"You are, I don't know why you didn't consider that before." She slides open the door to her room, Leon standing at the door way as she fishes through her closet. "I'm going to change, wait out there." She kicks the door closed once her clothes are in hand, Leon waiting out in the hall in a flurry of panic.

This is all his doing, accepting and thinking it wouldn't be weird. It's incredibly weird.

Lara exits the room a few minutes later, skinny jeans and t-shirt on. Her feet are still sock covered, but she's less conscious about it, walking down the stairs.

"You seriously need to think before you open your big mouth next time." Lara reprimands, stopping halfway down. "I'm not going to force you to do anything, just if I do so happen to maybe grab your hand, don't act surprised, yeah? That's as far as I'll go." Leon nods, following her as she makes her way to what would be the most luxurious dining room he's ever seen. It sits at the far back of the house, overlooking a wonderful view of the city. He didn't think this would be the backyard of this gated community's house.

Mr. Smith is already seated, looking like he doesn't want to laugh as he covers his mouth. Leon is a little surprised by his easy going personality at home, or rather whenever he sees him with his daughter. Leon sits at his right, while Lara goes to sit on his left. Before she can, Mr. Smith clears his throat, eyeing the seat next to Leon.

"Aren't you going to sit together?" Lara meets Leon's eye. Leon puts his eyes to the test, trying to express his accordance with her sitting next to him. She seems to get it as she stumbles over, gently plopping into the seat next to him. Her father is pleased, calling in a butler who nods his head and beckons the servers in.

This is Lara's life. Leon has never thought to ask about her personal life and now he seems to be living it, watching the extravagance of these people around them, thinking that Lara has had to live like this makes him wonder more about her, if she's always been accustomed to this or if she hates how it's too much to be considered normal. He thinks she might be somewhere in between, watching how well she interacts with the servers, not ignorant, but happily, offering smiles when she can.

The meal is served, Leon stuffing his mouth right away to avoid questions. It's not of much help as Lara's father still dares to ask how they met. Thankfully, Lara takes initiative and speaks for him.

"We met freshman year, he was in one of my law classes." Her father nods, head tilting toward Leon.

"Was it love at first sight, or did she have to annoy you a bit first?" Leon, who had a mouthful of pasta, almost spit it out.

Trying his best not to look like a lunatic, he chomped on the noodles, wishing his face wasn't as red as it most likely was. Lara patted his hand, keeping her promise and not going as far as touching his back, though it might have been more helpful. Leon, eventually, can breathe again. He smiles minimally as he answers.

"I think it might have been the second one." Her father laughs, gaze moving to his daughter.

"She's always been persistent and I love that about her." He smiles warmly at her, but she avoids his eyes, staring at her food instead. "So have you and my daughter thought about the future yet?"

"Dad!" Lara shouts, mortified by her father's boldness. She stands suddenly, mouth like a fish as she searches for the right words. "I can't take this anymore." She breathes, glancing over at Leon before meeting her father's worried gaze. "I- I don't have feelings for Leon anymore..." She whispers it, almost like a gentle breeze floating in the air. But the impact of her words is like a hurricane, causing her father to stand too.

"How can you say such a thing? He's such a wonderful guy, sweetheart. Think about what you're saying-"

"There's nothing to think about, Dad!" She has tears in her eyes. She turns away at their downfall, hesitant. "There's someone else." She runs off, her father reaching for her, but nowhere near close enough to actually stop her. She's out of sight in the blink of an eye, Leon at a loss for words. What is he to do now that her father thinks she's having some kind of love affair with another? Will he kick him out? Will he empathize for him?

He considers it being the latter as her father resumes his place at the table. "I'm so sorry about Lara, you must feel awful." Awful isn't the correct word, but he goes along with it, tries to play the part of the broken hearted boyfriend. Maybe he could leave sooner this way. "I think you should speak to her, don't be angry with her. Hear her out. I'll allow you to see her as long as you promise not to get mad." Leon swears he won't.

He knocks on her door, Lara's tearful face meeting his when she opens it. She clings to him for a moment, a moment of weakness, before putting a yard of space between them, sitting on her bed and leaving Leon at the doorway. Leon enters the room with hesitance, looming near the exit in case she asks him to flee. She doesn't.

"I was just so tired of him thinking we were together, I had to say something. " She hugs a pillow, breathing ragged as she continues. "Believe me, this wasn't just hurting you, it was hurting me too. It reminded me of the fact that I never got to have you. " She wipes at her face, mumbling since the pillow now covers half her face.

"Lara, I'm sorry I never realized the impact this had on you too. But what you said out there... it wasn't a lie, right?" She freezes, an indication that Leon's right. She keeps still for a long while. Leon is a little worried he turned her into a statue because of his words.

Lara finally sniffles loudly, the pillow in her hands being squeezed tightly. "There is someone else."