Chapter 2

The continuous sound of her alarm clock brought Sara Lindsay out of her deep slumber. She rolled out of bed and looked at her reflection in the mirror, her dark brown hair still left in it's messy bun from the night before when she arrived back from the precinct with her mum.

It wasn't uncommon for Sara to return to the precinct on her way home from school, she usually did it when she was bored. It meant she could see her grandpa Hank and spend some time with her mom, something she didn't get to do often, especially if they had been caught up in a case.

"SARA. I. Am. Not, Kidding." Snapping her attention towards her door when she heard her mother's voice calling her from the kitchen. "You're going to be late if you don't hurry up!' She continued to yell from the kitchen as he heard his daughter rushing around in her bedroom.

"I'm coming" She called. She appeared from the bedroom in jeans and a V-neck shirt, it screamed Erin Lindsay Junior, well that's what the IU had always joked about.

"Sit" She demanded from behind the open counter.

"Where's Jay?" Sara questioned. Granted, Jay didn't live with them but it felt weird when he wasn't around. Something she found difficult to explain.

Erin shrugged, her face reddening. "Something about- uh- something about Will needing him."

"Mom, you didn't?" Sara asked, mischievously. The only time Jay didn't stay over was if he and her mom had been otherwise engaged. "I knew I wasn't hearing things." She breathed out a chuckle.

Erin narrowed her eyes at her daughter and tried to prevent herself from rolling them.

"Mom's going red." Sara sing songed. Damn it. She thought. She would've had so much more fun teasing them if he had been there too.

This time Erin couldn't help but roll her eyes. "Grab your toast, we're leaving."

And with that the mother and daughter headed out to begin their day.

Sara made her way inside the precinct just after 12, the familiar musty smell hitting her as she walk towards the front desk. This place was like her second home, she had spent most of her childhood in this precinct and she had never complained.

She had finished school early, knowing that her mom would be working she decided to come here instead of heading straight home.

As Sara approached the desk sergeant that had grown to love her over the years had been shouting at one of her officers, she hadn't noticed the Lindsay she had grown to love had her head buried in paperwork and it remained in the paperwork she spoke up.

"Are intelligence unit all upstairs?"

Her head still stuck in the paperwork she was doing. "Nope. They'll be too busy to take visitors."

"No need to be like that Trudy." Sara gasped jokingly as she adjusted the straps on her backpack. It was getting heavy.

"You." Trudy rolled her eyes.

Sara chuckled. "Yup, so are they? Upstairs?"

"They were chasing a lead " Trudy explained, not really concentrating on the teen.

Sara nodded before heading upstairs. It was 12:55PM so hopefully they'd all be returning shortly.

She had been exactly right. The team strolled in just after 1:30PM, lunch in hand, they had been chasing a lead all morning and only now they had returned.

Adam Ruzek beamed when he caught sight of the Detective's daughter, he really got on well with her, it had been a joke for sometime that it was because he was closer in 'mental age'. "Lindsay Jr." He greeted as he munched on a fry he had pulled from the bag.