Chapter 5

"So what? You're just gonna let him waltz in?" Jay said, incredulously. He and Erin had been arguing back and forth about Andy Clements - Sara's dad - who had called Erin last night. "And waltz back out again?"

Erin, who had been emptying the dishwasher stopped in her tracks. The plates still in her hands, she spun around towards Jay, unable to use her hand she directed the plate at him. "He's not just waltzing in, Jay. He's Sara's dad- he's allowed to see his daughter." She gritted her teeth, annoyed.

"That's not what I'm saying, Er. What if he wants to take Sara with him?"

"We don't know that, Jay." Erin stated, matter of factly.

When Andy had called last night he had informed Erin about a job offer he had received, she had congratulated him and wished him the best. It was then that he dropped the bomb that the job offer was in Los Angeles and that he'd have to move there permanently, meaning that he would become more absent from his daughter's life.

"I just don't want you to get hurt." He shrugged, walking closer towards the woman. Resting his hands on her waist, leaning into her shoulder.

"Mom? Is everything okay?" Sara asked as she appeared from her room, already dressed in a grey sweatshirt paired with black jeans, her dark hair thrown up in a ponytail to stop it irritating her bandaged wound. Letting out a small chuckle as she saw her mom pull away as fast as she could. "Nothing I haven't seen before." She giggle lightly.

"Hey, why you up and dressed? It's only 8." Jay chuckled, ruffling the young Lindsay's hair as he past her to sit at the table, Sara followed.

Sara shifted on her feet. "Um. I was- well. Can I come to work with you today?" She asked her mom, her eyes hopeful. The brunette really didn't want to have to stay in the flat on her own, she had done it on numerous occasions before.

Placing the plates in the cupboard where they belonged, Erin wandered around the counter until she reached her daughter. Leaning down slightly so she could look at her, she smiled sadly. "Yeah...If you want to?"

"I can sit in the break room. I won't be trouble." The 17 year old added. It wasn't unusual for her to stay in the precinct whilst her mom worked but she had wanted to be sure.

"You can say that again." Jay teased, gulping from his coffee mug as he sat back in his chair.

Sara smiled. "I didn't say for you." She sassed back quickly making both detectives give a light hearted chuckle.

"Eat up." Erin said as she placed a bowl of cereal in front of Sara. "We'll be late."

****

"Hey. Lindsay Jr. How you doing kid?" Trudy called from behind the front desk as she spotted Sara arrive with Detective Lindsay and Halstead's.

Sara didn't speak, only nodded as she followed Jay Halstead up to the bullpen. Using the palm scanner, he scanned them up before letting Sara head up in front of him, offering Erin a small smile as he waited.

Turning to Trudy the detective apologised. "I'm sorry she just- I don't think she slept well last night and with everything-"

Trudy shook her head, telling Erin to stop. "It's okay. Just watch out for her today, she's been through a lot."

Meanwhile, reaching the top of the stairs it was clear that the detectives were either busy or talking to one an other.

Voight was the first to notice the younger Lindsay's presence and greeted her with his typical warm welcome that had only ever been reserved for her. "Good to see you kiddo." He smiled, embracing the young girl in his arms.