sidekick 『iwaizumi』

Iwaizumi stared blankly at the empty space on the ground. He felt numb. Oikawa was standing in the front of the changing room and most of the players were sitting down with depressed looks gracing their features.

"You guys did great, why do you look so down for?" Oikawa said with a light, reassuring tone. A smile graced his lips as he addressed his teammates. Iwaizumi wanted to scream at him. He wanted to tell him that none of it mattered because they lost.

"But we lost." Kindaichi responded quietly. His eyes were brimming with tears. Ah, that's right. Everyone was probably feeling it.

They lost. Again.

Tears brimmed in Iwaizumi's eyes, threatening to spill out. What should they have done? Maybe if he trained more, jumped higher, spiked harder, served better--maybe they would have won if he was a better player.

Iwaizumi bit down on his lip to keep down the sobs as he wiped away his tears.

"Now you know what to work on for next year, don't you?" The captain said softly, hoping to make the first year feel better but that probably made them all feel worse. The third years won't be here next year and everyone knew that. Damn it all.  "And show all those schools who really is the best! Make your captain proud!" Oikawa yelled proudly, pulling a stupid pose with this back facing them. He was probably going to cry.

Silence followed shortly and Oikawa turned around, crossing his arms. "We won't have practice tomorrow or the day after. Make sure you all rest up properly, okay?" The captain said assertively.

"Yes sir." Everyone said.

Iwaizumi silently began changing. He wanted to go home. Maybe it was all just a bad dream. He pinched himself. Nope, he was awake. He turned and looked at Oikawa. He hadn't moved at all. Well, the loss was probably hitting him the hardest. "Come on, we need to go already." Iwaizumi ordered but the latter made no attempt to move.

"This is the last time we'll play as a team." Those words hit the third years like a truck. Matsukawa looked like he was about to cry again and Hanamaki was also trying to keep his composure.  But to Iwaizumi it was a little worse. They'll probably not see each other anymore. They were going to different universities, after all.

Oikawa looked up at them, a bitter, pained smile on his face and it was evident to the three that he was going to crumble anytime soon. "I really enjoyed being on a team with you three." His voice cracked and became a whisper. Iwaizumi should probably say something to help his friend out, but he couldn't think of the right words.

"Why do you sound like someone just died?" Hanamaki said in a feeble attempt to lighten the mood. Oikawa got up and took the club room's keys from Iwaizumi.

"You guy's go ahead. I'm gonna hang back for a bit."

That meant one of two things: 1) he was either going to go practicing until he couldn't move or 2) he was going to sit and blame himself until he got depressed. Whichever one it was, it wasn't good, after all, it wasn't his fault.

"No you're-" Iwaizumi began, taking a couple steps towards Oikawa but stopped, noticing his expression.

"Please, Iwa-chan." His voice was a whisper and his eyes were brimming with tears. He was biting his cheek to keep himself from crying. He wanted to stay back to try and comfort his friend, tell him that it's not his fault but it was in fact Iwaizumi's for not being able to get over the blockers but instead, he turned towards the exit and left, Hanamaki and Matsukawa with him.

As they exited the school, they spotted [Name] waiting for them by the gate. She wore a sympathetic smile. "Where's Oikawa?"

"In the club room. He told us to go without him." Matsukawa stated.

"Oh." [Name] said, before linking her arms through Iwaizumi's. "I'm going to treat you guys, how does that sound?" She said.

"It's really not necessary-" Hanamaki began, only to be cut off.

"You guys used a lot of energy in today's match, so if you don't eat properly, you're going to cause damage to your muscles." [Name] stated. "Come on."

After wasting all of [Name]'s money, Matsukawa and Hanamaki bid the two farewell. Iwaizumi felt [Name]'s fingers intertwine with his, squeezing gently. "Damn Shittykawa's going to be blaming himself." Iwaizumi grumbled angrily.

"Aren't you doing the same, Hajime?" [Name] responded, looking up at him. "'If only I hit harder, jumped higher, moved faster', right?" Bullseye. Iwaizumi bit his lip.

"I wanted to go to the Nationals." He whispered. "I suppose I'm not good enough, huh?" He said with a bitter laugh, tears streaming down his face. [Name] stopped and pulled his hand up to her face.

"Hajime, you're talented," she pecked one of his knuckles, "beautiful," she pecked another, "powerful," she pecked another but this time, Iwaiazumi felt a hot tear on his hand, "and an amazing fucking player." She pecked his last one before looking up an meeting his gaze. Tears spilled out of her [eye colour] pools. "Sure you lost this time but you'll win next time, won't you?" Iwaizumi wasn't so sure. Noticing this, [Name] let out a sigh. "You want to be on the national team, right?" She asked and earned a nod in response. "Then get stronger." She ordered, letting go of his hand and walk in up to his door. "Get stronger and stronger until you're the strongest you can be and that way," she turned to him, grinning as he unlocked the door, "that way you won't lose anymore, will you?" Iwaizumi smiled back in response. He was starting to feel a bit better.

The two headed upstairs to his room and the tall male pulled her onto his lap as she continued speaking. "And when you on the national team, I'll be by your side, like your sidekick!" Iwaizumi chuckled; it seemed [Name] was more excited than he was. He pulled her into a kiss, lying down on the bed with her straddling his lap.

"'Sidekick'?" He echoed, raising a brow. "I'd prefer wife, though." [Name] turned redder than a steamed tomato. "Now, wanna do something to take our minds off of volleyball for a bit?" He asked, his hand trailing up her thigh, pushing her skirt away as he pulled out her hair band, letting her [hair colour] locks flow freely. [Name] grinned down at him, leaning in for another kiss.

【EXTENDED ENDING】

"Were you being serious?" [Name] asked tiredly, fidgeting with the hem of his shirt.

"Hm?" Iwaizumi responded, pulling the duvet up and wrapping an arm around his girlfriend.

"About the w-wife thing." She stammered shyly.

"Obviously. Why, do you not want to?" He seemed a bit disheartened.

"Don't be ridiculous! Who wouldn't want to marry you? Have you seen yourself?!" [Name] responded angrily, earning a soft chuckle from her boyfriend. Happy, [Name] buried her head in his chest, quietly falling asleep in his embrace.

"Sweet dreams." He whispered before falling asleep also.

☆★☆

how was that?

i feel like iwa's ooc im sorry

also i feel like the ending was cringe im sorry.

in case you couldn't tell its iwa's perspective of the previous chapter (^∇^'