Chapter Twenty Three

Phil repeatedly stole glances at the young student sat next to him. He couldn't help but admire the way that Dan's chocolate brown irises were adorned with a noticeable sparkle that quickly transformed the familiar brown to a glistening gold. His curly brown hair had obviously been fixed, however, the distinctive mild unkemptness of the curls prevailed. The deep indents of Dan's dimples barely left his cheeks throughout the night, and Phil had taken this as an invitation to repeatedly press kisses to the younger's flushed cheeks.

For the hundredth time that night, Dan let out a resounding giggle, brought on solely by the joyful atmosphere. Also for the hundredth time that night, he felt Phil's breath tickle his cheek, quickly followed by the warm feeling of the Slytherin's lips on that exact spot. Dan closed his eyes at comforting gesture, practically revelling in fondness that radiated from Phil's every action. Unfortunately, the feeling was abruptly interrupted by Chris tugging at Phil's sleeve.
"They've got a fucking chocolate fountain!" Chris nearly screamed, "A chocolate fountain!"
Jamie nodded excitedly from behind him, and Dan and Phil wasted no more time in sprinting towards the tower from which liquid chocolate cascaded in a thick, continuous sheet.

Phil swiped a finger across Dan's bottom lip to catch the chocolate that had begun to roll downwards. He then lifted the finger, now covered in glistening brown, and stuck it in his mouth, savouring the sweetness.
"Absolutely delicious!" He exclaimed, finger still between his lips.
Dan laughed in agreement, then grabbed Phil's hand and began pulling him towards the large, furniture-less expanse occupied by hundreds of dancing students. He slipped two arms around Phil's neck, and Phil slipped his own two around Dan's waist, and they swayed gently to the steady thrum of music that echoed throughout the hall.

Phil felt more than heard Dan sigh against him. Their bodies were pressed completely flush together, and Dan's lips were incredibly close to Phil's neck.
"Everything alright?" The slytherin said into Dan's ear.
"Just a bit tired, is all," Dan mumbled in response.
"It's getting a bit late," Phil stated, staring around the hall for the first time in over an hour, only to be greeted by significantly less people than there had been the last time he looked up.
"There's barely anyone left in the hall," he informed Dan with a breathy laugh, "Let's go to bed," he added after only a moments hesitation.

At first, Dan had looked at him with a questioning gleam to his tired eyes, but he obediently followed Phil out of the towering doors and down the deserted corridor. Despite only looking for a few seconds, Chris and Jamie were definitely absent, as were Ellie and Katie. So, taking that as a sign to leave, Phil dragged Dan after him and off to the dungeons.
"Phil, it's cold," Dan whispered, but in the silence of the corridor, his voice ricocheted off the walls and was amplified by the sheer vastness of the area. Phil quickly shed his suit jacket and placed it around Dan's shoulders, pulling him impossibly closer for warmth. A satisfied sigh left the hufflepuff's lips in response to the warmth that now surrounded him.

After whispering the password and managing to slip silently up to the boys' dormitories, Phil stripped down to his underwear before being briskly followed by Dan. Shirts, jackets, shoes and trousers were hastily shoved beneath Phil's bed, and the two students climbed soundlessly beneath Phil's thick duvet.

//

happy bday to joanne kathleen rowling i love her so much