Chapter 5

-Alaina's POV-

The crunching wind howled darkly outside my window. The blinds shook from the thunder echoing above. I looked out to see a lightning bolt strike miles and miles away. The ends of my lips curved up a bit. The wind roared on and thunder screamed loud. The trees branches rustled and the shadows looked like evil souls awakening from the dead. A small shiver runs down my back as my room suddenly got really cold.

My smile fades and I fall back on my bed in pain and go back to reading a book for English class, ignoring the change of temperature. Suddenly a huge growl thundered from outside and the power immediately shut off. All that was left was the small flicker from my "November Rain" Yankee scented candle on my dresser. I try my best to jump up and race to the window, but it doesn't work out the way I wanted it too, thanks to all my wounds. I finally get there to find the houses across the street lights go out one by one.

The rain piled down so heavily and dark clouds scattered the sky I could barely see. It looks haunted...

"Mom!" I yell down the stairs where my mom usually would be at this time watching the news.

"Yes Alaina, it's okay, honey. The power just went out. I'm sure it will be back on soon. I'm lighting some candles, come on down." My mom yells back up to me.

I nod as if she can see me and grab my phone turning on the flashlight it supplies. I blow out my candle and wobble down the stairs to join my mother.

When I reach the den, candle light fills the room. She smiles at me and I go in for one of my moms warm hugs. We stay for a while until another lightning strike screeches and we pull away. I limp over to the window and open the curtains. The dark sky lights up with bright yellow every now and then.

For some reason thunder storms have always intrigued me and I love to watch them. The trees sway roughly in the howling wind and the grass is moving rapidly.

"Are you feeling okay, sweetie? You still look pretty beaten up." my mom wonders concerned, staring at me from behind.

"Yeah I'm fine. I feel much better but it still hurts everywhere. I'm happy to be here with you, even though the power isn't on. Thanks for leaving work early to get me." I smile as big as I could manage and her face brightens up. She is normally at work until really late because she works half of the night as well as half of the day. From 1pm-11:30pm It's a long shift. She's a nurse.

"Of course, I love you." She says truly.

"I love you too mama" I smile again.

"Would you like any tea?" My mother asks kindly, turning on the kettle. I nod and turn back to the window.

The big oak tree right outside our window rattled. It seemed like it was barely on the ground. I stared and it shook. The wild wind blasted through the old branches. I could feel the ground rumbling. I noticed how the green leaves grew bigger and closer. Then i realized, it was falling. It was going to hit our house. My mom was happily humming in the kitchen brewing our tea without a clue. I'm too weak to use my powers, so I'm useless. This tree is going to fall and crush us, and there is nothing I can do.

It's inches away.

"MOM!" I screamed with a cracked, weak voice. My mother looks up and screams. I shut my eyes tight, ready for the tree to crash inches away from me, maybe even for branch to hit me.

Nothing happens.

I hear a school bell ring and hear the chattering of kids walk by. I open my eyes slowly to find myself in the middle of the school hallway. The bright lights and colorful clothing of students fill my eyes. The stairs I fell down earlier that day stand in front of me. I feel good. No bruises cover my body, I'm not weak and I'm not crushed by a tree.

Wait, what?

I slowly walk up the stairs looking cautiously around. What is going on? This is where I fell. At this time. Right after the bell rang. I look up to where a girl should be trampling me right now, but nothing comes. I walk up the next flight of stairs and walk down the wide, full hallway. Where is Belle? Where is my mom? Why aren't I at home dead under a tree?

What is going on...?

Is this what death is like?