Chapter VII

I saw him later that day in science class and everyone seemed quieter today than any other day.  We were sitting together before Alyssa started to interrupt.  Neither of us was listening.  I glanced over at her and she was just rambling on about something, but neither of us knew what.  We were working on the sheet of paper in front of us and when we finished early we just sat there holding hands like two fools in love.

Maybe that's what we are...

2 Weeks Later

It was the last day of our freshman year and we've been dating for 8 months.  We've completely fallen for each other.  Walking out of my last hour out into summer break when Luke approaches me with a bouquet of summer flowers.

"Happy 8 months baby," he says smiling and kisses my cheek gently.

"Happy 8 months," He hands me the flowers and takes a picture of me with them.  He then takes my bag on top of his and holds my hand.  I've learned to not protest when he takes my stuff to carry it because he'll always do it. 

We walk outside to his car and he drives me home.  He comes in my house and my mom is home early and standing in the kitchen with my report card.  

"Luke, you should go home, now please," she says sternly.

He has a worried look as he kisses my cheek and walks out the door.

"What have you done?" she shoves the report card towards me and I look at it B, C+, C, B, A+, A-, B-.

I stammer, "I, I.. I don't know.  I checked my grades just the other day!"

"Well apparently not!  Now because of him, you're distracted, you don't know left from right anymore!  Your father is going to be furious!"  She yells.

"Mom! He's not the distraction!  All you and dad have been doing for the past months is fighting! And before you say anything, yes I heard all of it!" I shout back at her.  

I storm out the door and across the street to Luke's house.  I knock on the door and he answers immediately.  He takes me in his arms and shuts the door behind me.  We go into his room and he shuts that door too.  

I can't stop the tears anymore.  They just keep flowing.  I can't believe it, what she had said, he's not a distraction, he's not!  And what I had said, it was terrible.  I wish I would disappear.  I wouldn't be a disappointment anymore to my parents or a distraction to Luke. 

He holds me for what seems hours and lays me down to sleep.  I feel his crawl into bed next to me a few minutes later.

I go home around 10 pm and I'm numb,  my eyes are bloodshot and puffy and my nose is running.

I go straight to my room and closed my door.  I need sleep.  I get a ding on my phone and it's from Luke.

-Sleep tight sweetheart, don't fret.  I'll be here for you.

I sleep until dawn the next morning and hear a knock on my window.