Chapter V

I haul the stuff into my house and set it gently on my bed.  I swiftly walk out of my house before hearing my name.  My mother.

"What was that?" She casually asks me as she leans against the counter top.

"Uh, Valentine's day?" I laugh it off, "I've gotta go.  Bye!"  I say as I slide out the door.  

Luke is leaning on the hood of his car when I finally get to the end of my driveway.

"It's about time," he chuckles as he slides off and lands in front of me, kissing me on my forehead.

We drive to school and Luke is hinting at something the whole ride there.  After many sentences he would mutter, 'I promise'.  Even if it wasn't related to what we were talking about.  

We got to school about ten minutes later with 20 to spare.  I walk to my locker which is near the senior commons area and Luke's is directly next to mine so it works out pretty well.  We're still talking when he suddenly slams his locker closed.  I look up and gasp, to my excitement is a baby blue Tiffany's box with the little white ribbon. I have a cheeky grin on and look at him.  He smiles, a truely genuine smile.   

"I thought you would like it."

He pulls a neatly folded lined paper out from him khaki's pocket and starts unfolding it.  I watch his fingers as he finally unwraps the last of the folds.  He starts reading aloud.  By now we've gathered a crowd, but neither of us care.

"Hayley, Darling, Sweet, Hayley,"  He begins.

"I remember that first day that we had met."  By now we've gathered majority of the school into the little hallway surrounding our lockers, but, again, he keeps on reading.

"We were sitting in math class and I had walked in.  I got so many stares, but only one was special and as unique as you are."  I feel my face flush red as he read that sentence.

"I came back and sat by you.  You're the only one I cared to get to know around here."  I see Alyssa gasp and listen as he keeps reading.

"On the second day I had forgotten my homework and I learned that you are caring.  Days passed and I found out you're a little bit messy, a good messy."  By now I don't care who else is listening, I've realized, right now, that we're going to be long lived, together.

"I haven't felt this way for any girl, ever.  But, I'm ready now, to feel this way with you!  And you only.  I promise."  I realize he's pulled the white bow from the box and is opening it towards me.  A promise ring!  It clicks as soon as I see it.  By now the crowd and even the teachers are watching in envy.  Alyssa is standing by a railing glaring at me.

I shallow the lump in my throat and shake my head as he slide the beautiful ring onto my chubby finger.  I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him slowly, hoping this moment would never end, until his best friends show up.

They smile at him and greet me warmly.  They've accepted me.  We never talked before Luke moved here, but ever since a few months ago they've inseprible, well whenever Luke and I aren't together.  Occasionally we go on double or even triple dates, but it's always with different girls, usually from other schools.

I grab Luke's hand, squeeze, and smile.  "Bye babe, see you later," I say before taking a step, only to be pulled back in for another slow kiss.  Luke and I are the longest relationshop any on the boys has ever had, or probably will have. (Ever. No Offence.)