Chapter VI

3 MONTHS LATER - SUMMER BREAK

Luke is in a tux and knocks gently on my door.  It's prom night and Luke is, of course, my date.

I have a gorgeous strapless, strawberry colored dress and it's truly a princess' dress.  Beautiful with a full, fluffy skirt.  (Not too big though).

Luke sees me from the open door that my father had answered and gaped. 

"Oh, my god," he muttered.

I feel my face flush as he said this.  My dad is looking right at him and is glaring.  I laugh it off and shrug him away as Luke and I make way to the den as we sit down so that my dad could meet Luke.

"So, Luke, why do you like our daughter?" My parents ask Luke.  I see the embarrassment in Luke's expression wipe away as we meet eyes.  They eye contact doesn't break until he looks my father in the face to answer the question.

"She is a very special person in my life.  She was the first person to really even talk to me here.  I was grateful someone as beautiful as she would acknowledge me."  He says courageously.

"Okay!" I interrupt before we could get any further into that conversation, "Let's go, Luke!"

I simper and pull Luke off the couch.  We go down by the lake and we kiss for a photo op. and we leave soon after.

"So that was awkward," I shrug and look over to Luke in the driver's seat.

He snickers and looks to me, "No it wasn't.  They care about you, just as I do.  Maybe just as much!"  He snorts.

I laugh and look out the window of his Mustang to see we've arrived.  He parks and hurries to my side of his '69 Mustang Fastback to open my door for me.  I smile and take his outreached hand before he pulls me up smoothly.

He takes my hand and kisses my cheek before we start to walk to the already packed gymnasium.

We arrive and Mikey, Ashton, and Calum all have dates.  All from our school surprisingly.  As soon as we finish socializing with them a slow song comes on and Luke trails me to the dance floor.  He grabs my waist and hand and swirls me around the dance floor.  The world seems to slow as everyone around us stops and stares.

I see the faces of many girls that envy me for being with Luke.  They're gawking at us as we sweep around the middle of the flow.  Luke looks at me and chuckles to himself as we're still dancing.  Everyone resumes, leaving the middle of the floor left for us.  

"What was that?" I ask Luke.

"Nothing, just can't believe it," he says in reply to my question of his chuckle.

"Believe what?" I'm persistent.

"That I'm dancing with the most beautiful girl in the school," he pronounced.

I giggle and we stop dancing.  We walk to the side of the venue we're at and find the rest of the boys with their jealous dates.  Jealous of me?

"What was that Luke?" Ashton asks first.  The rest of them nod in response to Ash's question.

"What?" Luke laughs.

"The dance dummy." Calum speaks up.

"I'm dancing with my girlfriend, problem?" Luke snickers.

"No, just wish we could dance too," one of the girls reply.  I know her.

We used to be friends back in 7th grade, but she changed for the worse.  She started cheating on her boyfriends, sleeping with everyone starting in 9th grade, etc.  She kept getting worse until I guess this year she changed.  I still don't trust her.

Luke and I make rounds around the gym looking building, talking to a lot of different boys and their dates.  Luke is, by far, the best date any of these girls would ever have, only if they could.  But, he introduces me to them before ever talking and starting a conversation, even letting me talk.

By the end of the night we're both exhausted and we go home.  It's a 10 minute drive.

We arrive home and he asks if I would like to stay the night.  I reply sweetly, "Yes," and walk swiftly into my house to change.  I walk back out and he's waiting for me right beside his car.  We walk inside and walk into his room.  This is the first time I've seen it.