Chapter Eight

Osten's POV

Today is the last day. I think to myself as I sit at the table with everyone, waiting for breakfast.

Almost as if she was reading my thoughts, Eadlyn says, "One more day guys. Are you ready?"

"Yeah," Ahren says, "ready to go home."

She turns to him. "Do you really have to go so soon."

"No." He says. "I will not fall for that trick again, Eadlyn. I need to get back to France and my family."

Her shoulders slump. "You better call at least twice a week."

"I will. I will never make the same mistake as when I left." He says.

"Good." Mom pipes up from the other side of the table. "I don't know if I could handle another heart attack."

I laugh and shake my head. Mom would be the one to make fun of her heart attack out of anyone.

"I'm sorry." Ahren pleads for the millionth time. He can't go a visit without apologizing at least twice, and it's been eight years.

She smiles and shakes her head. "For the billionth time, Ahren, it's in the past."

He shakes his head. "I lnow, but I still can't help myself for being guilty sometimes."
                                                         ----------

I walk upstairs to my room, completely bored with nothing to do. Clay is on his rounds, the girls are all busy playing with each other, so I decide to go check with Aunt Brice.

"Any more work for me?" I ask.

She shakes her head.  "No, not today. Unless you want to figure out the rounds for next week." She says, gesturing to a folder on her desk.

"I'll take it." I say, rushing to it and grabbing it, egar for work to do.

"Are you ready for the company tomorrow?" She asks.

I run my hand through my hair. "No, not at all."

"Hey, it'll be fun. Last I remember, you and Princess Adalheida had a great time together." She says, walking over and rubbing my arm sympathetically.

"Yeah, well," I sigh, trying to think of the right way to phrase my words. "People change in eight years."

"Oh." Is all she says. That's one quality about Aunt Brice that I adore. She doesn't push for more information. She knows that if you want to talk, you'll talk, and if you don't, then she's okay with it.

"Well, I'll see you at lunch." I say, moving away and towards the door.

"Okay, come and talk to me if you ever need to." She says.

Yes, Your Excellency." I reply, before walking out the door and back to my room.

I go to my room and sit down at my desk and open the folder in front of me. I am easily buried in the work, and after a few minutes, a knock comes on my door. "Come in!" I call to whoever is hidden behind the door.

"Hey, it's me. Says Dad. Upon recognizing his voice, I turn around in my chair.

He sets a plate down in the corner of my desk. "You missed lunch, so I brought some up for you."

"But I've only been working for a few minutes." I say.

"Osten, it's one o'clock." He says.

I look at my clock, and, just as he said, it's one o'clock. "It feels like I've only been working for a few minutes."

"I know what you mean." He says, and walks over and sits on the corner of my desk. He hesitates, looking as if he's deciding what to say next. "Look, Eadlyn told me about your conversation yest-"

I cut him off. "Then you should know that I don't care anymore."

"Osten, that was very inpolite." He says patiently.

"I know," I say. "And I'm sorry. Everyone has been asking but my nonexistent love life with Adalheida and it's really starting to get on my nerves."

"And I'm sure it doesn't help that she's betrothed to Prince Ainsley." He says.

"Exactly!" I exclaim.

"But that's not the point." He begins. "You can still get her. There's still a possibility."

I look at him, the question practically written on my face.

He sighs. "In my Selection, your mother came already in love with Aspen. You already know that." I nod. "But who did she choose in the end?"

"You." I reply.

"Exactly. Just because the Princess is betrothed doesn't mean she can't fall in love and call it off. It's basically just a really long engagement and engagements end all the time."

I shrug. "I guess you're right."

"Good." He slaps me on the shoulder. "If you really want her, just get her. It may be tough if what I hear about her is true, but I believe in you." He stands up and walks out the door and turns right in the hallway, going who knows where. Probably wherever Mom is if she's not in the Women's Room.

Suddenly I feel a boost of confidence. Maybe I can get Adalheida to like me. It's very possible. She will be here tomorrow.

I then carry out my day normally, excited for what the future holds.

**A/N**
Okay guys, I just started school a few days ago, which may mean fewer updates. I'm sorry for this, but I have a few prewritten chapters and will try to post those every other day. Thanks for reading this story!