Chapter Twelve

Osten's POV 

I run up the stairs as fast as I possibly can with Adalheida trailing behind me. She sure is able to get around pretty fast for such a small size.

We run through halls and up staircases until we reach the third floor. "Where do you want to go?" I say, turning to face the princess.

She shrugs. "I don't know. You're the master of this place."

"In that case, we'll be headed to the basement." I say.

I turn around and start back down the stairs, walking this time.

In the hall towards the basement, we run into Gio trying to talk to a guard. "You can't ignore me forever." She says, tugging on the poor officer's pant leg.

She sighs and sits on the floor beside of him, stubborn, just like Mom. She then looks over and notices Adalheida and me walking towards her. "Hey!" She yells, running up to both of us. "What are you two doing?"

"Something." I say to her.

"What's something?" She asks.

"A secret." I reply.

"Can I come with you?"

"Not right now."

Luckily, she doesn't seem bothered by it in the slightest. "Who's she?" She asks, pointing to Adalheida.

"That's Princess Adalheida. She's from Germany. Do you remember Mommy telling you about them?"

She shrugs. "Are you going to marry her?"

I mentally cringe and I notice Gio's attention piques, suddenly eager for an answer. "No, Gio, Adalheida is going to marry Prince Ainsley. Do you remember him? He was here a few weeks ago."

"The nice one with the puppy?" She asks.

I nod. "That's him."

She turns to Adalheida, "Uncle Osten's better. You should marry him instead."

Adalheida, taking it better than expected, kneeled down to Gio's level. "You see, I don't really have a choice."

"You don't get to choose who you love?" Giovanna asked.

While it was an innocent question, I could see hurt flash behind Adalheida's eyes. She swallowed roughly, "not in this situation."

The look on Gio's face morphs into one of sadness and despair. "Maybe your mom will change her mind?"

Adalheida shakes her head.

"I'll help you figure it out." Gio says, and after a moment's hesitation, she throws herself into Adalheida's arms giving her a big hug.

I bet Adalheida gives great hugs. I think to myself.

I shake my head, ridding it of such a silly thought. It would be a miracle if I ever got a hug a goddess such as she.

I don't know who wouldn't be attracted to her. She's beautiful and has the best personality that just fits oh so perfectly in with mine. If only she could see it. If only her mother would allow it.

Seeing her kneeling in front of me, with Gio in her arms, I realize that I'm long past a hopeless infatuation. I'm in love with her. And I'm going to get her. I at least have to try.

A/N: Welp.. it's been a hot second.. I'm so sorry for not updating. I just got kinda discouraged. I'll do my best to keep up in the following weeks. I love yall!!