chapter 4

(Mackenzie POV)

Oh I hate Abby. She’s great and everything, but she a bitch, and she’s fat and ugly, and I really just hate her. She just sits on the box in the corner and yells at everyone, well everyone but Maddie. I screwed up on my solo last week pulling forth. It was my facial expressions, I think; they weren’t as mature and sophisticated as Maddies were when she was my age. As far as I can tell, Abby is going to give me solos every week until I start winning like Maddie and to show me what Maddie goes through.

 Maddie this, Maddie that, Maddie, Maddie, Maddie, that’s all I get. “Oh my gosh, you’re Mackenzie, Maddies sister.” “What’s it like living with a gifted girl like Maddie.” “Do you ever get Maddie to give you hints and tips on how to dance?” It’s awful, she’s awful.

 Yippee! We’re doing the group number which I’m not in. Like I want to stand on the sidelines and control the music or stretch. Abby can screw it and if Brooke is willing to do that, then let her. I walk; no I strut, into the changing rooms and sit down, slamming the studio door on my way out. Oops! I didn’t mean to do that! Shit! What’s Abby going to do now? Oh I’m going to get in so much trouble. Mum was right I really should be more careful. Why is she always right?

 No never mind that. Abby now knows I’m pissed. That’s good. I wanted to be in the group number and I’m not. She wants me to be Maddie and I’m not.

 "Mackenzie?”

“What?” I’m really not in the mood mother.

“Are you all right?”

“Yes, of course I’m fine.” No I’m annoyed, if you’re stupid enough to ask, then no way in hell I’m I going to tell you.

“Are you sure? You have taken your tablets this afternoon haven’t you?” shit no I completely forgot!

“Yes mum of course, I’m not completely useless. I take them every day at 8, 12, 4 and 8 – every 4 hours.” Unless I forgot like today, but mum cant know that. What about Maddie? Maddie can get them for me.

“Ok. Well I’m going back, be careful though I think Abby isn’t happy with you and wants to talk to you.” Talks with Abby never go down well, unless of course you’re Maddie.

“Ok mum, see ya. I’ll go back in in a minute I just need to redo my hair.” I wave and go in my bag, get my hairbrush and start redoing my hair, watching my mum as she leaves. Right now I need to think of a way of pulling Maddie to the side to talk to her.

 (Paige POV)

NIA! ARE YOU DEAF OR SOMETHING? BECAUSE YOU CLEARLY ARENT HEARING ME WHEN I SAID THAT YOUR FEET ARE SICKLED ON THE GRAND BATTEMENT!”

I can’t believe it, I’m shaking again. Come on Paige suck it up, Abby is not shouting at you stop shaking.

“Right go from the begging and this time with correct feet.” The way she pronounces the last to words sends shivers down my back. I start to cool my shakes and head into position but then my mum walks in. Oh no, this can’t be good. Come on Paige don’t worry calm down.

“Abby, I need Paige she has a doctors appointment.” Don’t look up stay in position.

“What, now?”

“Yes now and she has to go to it” Oh I remember this appointment now; can’t I stay at dance? “Come on Paige, it will only be an hour and then you’ll be back, but you can’t miss this appointment.” If I stay there will be an uprising and mum’s right, I have to go to the appointment. I get up and walk to the door. I’ll be back soon and Kendall can teach me what I haven’t learnt. As I walk out I brush pass Mackenzie, she looks worried and I hope she’s ok.

“I know Chlo, I know. How about you go back into dance now, yeah just remember that nothing that has happened to you has been your fault both men that have had the privilege to call you their child clearly don’t know treasure when they see it. Oh hey Paige you leaving?” I look at Chloe all curled up in her mums arms, eyes red and puffy from where she’s been crying. I can’t wait to get back and hug her. “Oh yeah, I have a doctors appointment.”

“You – you will be back right.” I look up from packing my things. “Of course I’ll be back, Chloe.” I smile as I sling my bag over my shoulder and walk out. Wait did Christie say the two men that have had the privilege to call you their daughter?