Chapter 13

Sprawled on my bed, I watched my fan rotate and snuggled a pillow. I had raced upstairs and flung myself into bed before Dad finished parking the car. Icarus was right. One crisis at a time. Once Tobias was awake, we could decide together how to handle this whole pesky god problem.

Dad knocked on my door frame. "Charlotte?"

"What?" I grumbled, as if I didn't expect to see him.

"The admin said Tobias didn't have visitors today." He pushed his way into my room.

"You didn't go see him?" I asked.

Dad sighed. "You know what I'm talking about."

"Obviously, I didn't go." I threw the pillow aside and sat up. "I thought it was my choice."

"It is," he adjusted his glasses, remaining calm. "Tomorrow morning at nine is the appointment."

He talked about it like some checkup. How could he be so nonchalant about letting my brother die? I needed him to be angry, as angry as I was. I had to assure that he grounded me to my room and didn't want to look at me for the rest of the night.

Before I could change my mind, I asked, "Are you really our dad?"

"What?" He honestly looked shocked and hurt. "Of course I am. Charlie, why would you ask me that?"

I ignored the guilt. Just a little more and he won't even consider checking in on me tonight. "I just assumed that if you're willing to let your only son die, then maybe he isn't really your son."

Dad grabbed me by my shoulders. "You think I don't care? Of course I do, and that's why I'm letting Tobias go," he paused and took a steady breath. "Because I love him too much to let him suffer any more."

I glared at the floor.

"You're being selfish," Dad said. "It's time to grow up and stop waiting for fairytale endings. He isn't there anymore. It's time to let him go."

"Get out." I shrugged off his grip.

Dad stood, frowning down at me and gave the whole I'm-not-mad-just-very-disappointed sigh. It made the guilt sting that much worse.

"I'm sorry." Dad walked out of the room, pausing in the doorway. "Someday you'll realize that this is the right thing to do." He shut the door behind him.

After tonight, he would realize it wasn't. Giving up isn't an option.

I jumped up to lock my door and flip on my radio, just enough to muffle the sound, but not enough to get into more trouble.

Rushing, I tugged on my boots. I pulled open my window and pushed the screen out. It fell into the yard below and I leaned out.

Icarus waved to me and set the screen aside.

Crouched on my window sill, I turned and lowered myself as far down as I could. My arms shivered. The ground seemed a lot farther now that I was hanging down the side of the house. I tried not to imagine how it would feel to break my ankle. I wanted to pull myself back up. This idea was crazy. I should've just tried to sneak out the front door.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Icarus quietly called.

I pulled my legs up, wedging my feet against the wall. Hoping I was right about being the key to Icarus's powers, I held my breath, let go with my hands, and pushed off the wall. My stomach jumped into my throat.

I fell fast at first, then warmth cradled me and I floated like magic into Icarus's ready arms. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and gravity set back in. Icarus dropped my legs and gently set me on my feet.