Chapter 15

Icarus's arms tensed around me. "What is that?"

The skeletal arm lashed out from the portal and clamped around my ankle. It oozed darkness, dripping like acid onto the floor. The drops of shadow hissed when they hit the linoleum and turned to smoke. Claws dug into my skin, and it yanked me hard toward the portal. I ripped free from Icarus's arms and slammed onto the cold floor, tucking my head forward to keep it from bashing on the ground. At least I was learning.

I shrieked and Icarus lunged forward and grabbed me around the waist, while I scratched and pried at the shadow hand. The shadow had ahold of me, but my own hands slid right through it. My nails scratched down my own leg and I cringed. That was so not fair.

"Charlie," Dad yelled through the door. "What the hell is going on in there?"

Security officers and my dad continued to shout on the other side of the door. They finished drilling the hinges out. The door shook violently but the chair wedged between the door and the other wall stopped them from opening it all the way.

"Who's in there with you?" Dad shouted.

"Mr. Reece, please back up," a deep voice commanded.

We were so close. Tobias was here. He just had to wake up. I wouldn't let them near him until his eyes opened. I refused to let this one stubborn Shade ruin everything.

"Icarus. Don't let them in," I said.

"I'm not letting you go," Icarus said. He tightened his grip, set his feet and pulled me back a few inches. The creature's arm stretched thin and it hissed as if it felt pain.

I grabbed onto the leg of the bed and looked up to Icarus's face. "They can't get in. This is our only chance," I pleaded. "My dad will have them take us away."

His lips narrowed into a tight line, but he released me and rushed to the door. Just as Icarus slammed it shut, a shoulder rammed into the other side making him jerk, but he held it still.

"I don't know how long I can hold them," Icarus grunted.

I kicked my leg in a wild attempt to shake the shadow loose, but it gave a hard tug and I slid closer to the portal. I focused on trying to recall the energy I felt before when my flames burned the Shades away. The gateway into darkness was now just a small crack in reality. If I could only get loose and push it through, I was sure it would close. But before I could tap into my energy the crack splintered, and one finger at a time, another hand squeezed out of the black hole, ripping it open. In the dark, the familiar acid-green eyes glared.

There can only be one. Its voice boomed.

"What is this, Highlander?" I scoffed. This time, fear wasn't the first emotion to strike. I was sick of this creature, sick of its cryptic messages, sick of it meddling with my life, so it was my anger that sent sparkling green energy down my leg. The shock zapped the creature's hand, making it pull away with a howl.

I scrambled up and stood between the green eyed demon and Tobias's bed. "You can't have him," I shouted.

The shadow pushed itself up and crawled out of the void, which closed behind it. Rising to its full height, it towered over me.

It does not matter which, the shadow hissed.

The words echoed in vibrations through my chest. I hesitated, stepping back with my arms stretched out to shield Tobias's slumbering body. I tried to focus on my crackling energy. But fear sank its fangs into my heart and all signs of any power vanished from me.