Ben Bruce

Ben's POV 

"God damn it" you hiss as you burn your hand for the third time. You grab and dish rag, wrap it around the handle, and carry the pot over to the counter, grumbling about how cooking is too difficult. As the food cools down you go into the dining room and finish setting the table, rearranging plates and lighting candles. You go back into the kitchen and put the food onto plates, your hands shaking nervously. You're not usually this romantic - okay, you're never this romantic. But you've been gone for months and you wanted to surprise Y/N when she got home. You paced the room, trying to shake off these ridiculous nerves, chastising yourself for being able to easily play for thousands of people but making dinner for your girlfriend terrifies you.

You hear a car pull into the driveway and you stop pacing. You hurriedly try to make yourself look presentable, suddenly feeling inadequate. You pick up the flowers and hide them behind your back and wait for Y/N. A few seconds later the front door opens and your hear the sound of keys being set onto a table. The hallway light turns on, and when you see Y/N's shadow, you can help but smile and you feel the butterflies even more. She walks into the room and stops dead in the doorway, her mouth slightly open. "Ben.." She drops everything and throws her arms around you. "I can't believe you're home!" You hug her tightly and kiss the top of her head, and the two of you just stand their holding each other. When she finally pulls away you give her the flowers "I have a surprise for you." You take her hand and lead her into the dining room and pull her chair out for her. "Ben, this is all so wonderful. I love it." The two of you eat and talk about everything, Y/N teases you about you actually cooking and the exaggerated - but much appreciated - efforts to impress her. You couldn't stop smiling the whole night.