17

My heart was in my throat. My breathing pattern quickened as my vision became blurry. I curled my toes and clenched my jaw until I became frightened of my teeth cracking.

He proceeded to place a kiss on my hand as I stared at him in horror.

"You look quite beautiful this December morning, Ms Murphy." He grinned.

All I could do is stare at him. I couldn't believe it.

Tommy gently kicked my leg under the table in means for me to thank him.

I stayed still and quiet.

"Ahh, she is meaning to say thank you. She's quiet today. Rough morning." Tommy tells Jack and nervously laughs, grabbing a chair for both the men.

"So Daisy, how old are you?" Jack crosses his legs and sit back in the old, wooden chair glancing at me.

I look at Tommy and gulp. He looks at me with slight anger in his eyes.

"Uh, I am 20, sir." I say quietly.

"And what are your relations to the Peaky Blinders?"

"I'm a very close family friend."

As he was about to ask another question, I presume, Alfie Solomons and Arthur walk through the doors of the Garrison, three men following close behind.

Tommy and Jack stand up to greet him.

"Tommy."

"Alfie."

The two men exchange glances and nods.

I slowly look up to Alfie and bite my lip, taking in his exquisite features.

He notices me and smirks.

"Alright men, let's get this meeting begun shall we?" Tommy speaks. "Daisy, here is some money. Go buy yourself a dress or some shoes. I don't care just leave."

He throws twenty dollars on the table and looks at me.

"I thought I wasn't supposed to leave your side? Pol made that quite clear to me." I say with slight sass.

"Well Pol isn't here and I say leave, so leave. Now." Tommy groans.

I slam my hand on the table to grab the money. I stand up and throw my fur coat over my shoulder, walking outside of the Garrison.

"Little fucking wanker." I growl under my breath.

I storm off to a small dress stop nearby the pub and walk in timidly.

The dresses in the store were gorgeous. They filled the room, some shiny, some matte.

I allowed my hands to gently drift over them, feeling the soft fabric between my finger tips.

"Excuse me, ma'am. May I help you?" A voice spoke.

I turn my head to see a young woman, maybe a few years senior to me, smiling slightly.

"Uhm, I was just looking. Thank you." I smile back and begin to walk away.

"You know, you would look lovely in red!" She blurts.

"Pardon?" I turn around.

"You would look quite nice in red. It would really compliment your eyes, bring out your features. We actually have a dress I believe you'd look beautiful in, if you have the time to try it on."

I look out the window at the Garrison and huff.

"I have all the time in the world." I smile.

She grins and runs to the back of the store, returning with a gorgeous red dress.

Walking into the fitting room, I strip and slide the velvety dress over my petite yet curvy body. I glance in the mirror and admire the details.

I felt beautiful. I felt worthy.

I walk out of the room, revealing myself to the young woman once again.

Her eyes lit up and a smile covered her face.

"It's yours."

"Pardon?" I question.

"I want you to have it. Of all the women in Birmingham that have walked through those doors with their hearts set on that dress, I have never seen anyone look as beautiful as you do. It's meant to be and it's yours."

I grin.

"How much?"

"Free of charge?"

"What? No, no, no. This dress must be worth at least $100. I must pay."

"No. You won't. I want you to walk out this door with confidence. With the feeling you can do whatever you want and feel is right. With that dress. You will show your worth. You deserve it."

"But you don't know me. You don't know what I deserve. And I especially do not deserve this." I sigh.

"I may not know you, but I know you are trying to prove something. And you will prove it. You've been misunderstood and hurt. That much I can tell. Now, go. Go and be confident and happy. Don't let anything hold you back."

I look at her unsurely. She simply nods.

I grab my clothes from the fitting room, wrapping the fur over my shoulders and leaving the store.

Walking back over to the Garrison, I walk in with confidence and walk over to the bar, all eyes on me.

"A shot of vodka, please."

"Ms. Murphy. Looking quite lovely this morning aren't we?" He begins pouring my drink. "Tommy is in the conference room with a few of his men, if you were looking for him."

I nod and down the shot, thoughts burning in my head.

I strut to the conference room slamming the door open.

Tommy and Jack shot up, looking in shock.

I slam the money on the table.

"Daisy, what the hell?" Tommy raises his voice.

"I won't be needing this or you."

Confusion filled all the men's faces.

I leave the Garrison in quick pace hearing Tommy's calls behind me.

I am not allowing anything to hold me back. Not anymore.