1

"Girls. Girls... Wake up. It is late. I made you both tea and I started a fire." I heard the vague voice grow more clear as my tired eyes forced themselves open. Aunt Pol stood in front of me with a small smile placed on her face.

I heard a quiet moan from Ada who was laying across my bare legs, asleep.

"Ada, darling. Daisy. Come on. You girls have a big day ahead of you."

I slowly lifted my body from the bed and stretched my arms, high in the air. I took a big yawn and gave Pol a warm smile.

"Well, at least one of you are up. I brought tea, dear."

"Awe, Aunt Pol, you shouldn't have."

"Oh well, I needed to. It will refresh you both for the day." She smiled and sat me down in the rocking chair next to the blazing fire.

She joined me and we sat in comfortable silence.

I looked out the window. From the sky was falling bright snowflakes. They would softly hit the ground and become one with the other specks of snow on the sidewalks. It was beautiful outside.

Today was the perfect day to just stay inside, enjoy a nice read of Charles Dickens by the fireplace, and drink tea.

A fully awaken Ada soon joined us with a cup of hot tea and a blanket wrapped around her body.

"It's a beautiful day isn't it?" I whisper loud enough for the two women to hear.

"It is." Ada smiled brightly as she glanced out the window.

We all, once again, remained silent.

"Today is a big day for you girls." Aunt Pol said breaking the peaceful silence.

"What do you mean?" Ada and I looked at Pol hazed.

"Don't tell me you girls forgot?" Pol placed her tea on the side table next to her chair and stood up.

"Forgot what?"

"Today is you and Ada's Suffrage speech down at town square tonight!"

My smile dropped.

"I thought that was tomorrow?!" I exclaimed.

"I thought it was as well!" Ada cried.

"No! It is tonight at 8 o'clock!"

"But we haven't prepared our speeches!"

"Well, I would start at it now. You have 5 hours till you need to be there!" Pol said standing up. "And make sure your brothers don't catch you. You know they don't like the idea of equality towards sexes. They think that the men should control everything while the women stay in small cellars and are used only for food and intercourse. The audacity they have. Now, get to work."

Aunt Pol left the room leaving Ada and I in disbelief. We both thought it was tomorrow. The day before Christmas Eve...

I pulled out my Underwood Standard Typewriter from beneath the bed Ada and I share and placed paper in it. Ada did the same. We both sped over to our desks near the window and started to quickly type.

I could feel beads of sweat roll down my neck.

Ada and I have been best friends for 17 years. Her brothers Tommy, John, and Arthur were good friends with my brother, Dean.

Our fathers were also good friends and did business together. Both of our mothers had passed after we were born. I never met my mother. Ada knew her mother for a good 3 years before she was murdered at a pub in Dublin.