Chapter 6

"So, why didn't you show up to school?" Randy nudged Angela the next morning as she stepped out of her car.

"I can't take my Dad anymore. He's like a zombie. He's just not the same ever since my Mom screwed him over. The night before, he just... lost it at dinner. Crying, and everything." She looked down at her shoes. Lying to Randy was hard.

"I'm sorry your Mom's wacked out."

"It's not your fault."

"You know, some people think you and your Dad are suspects." Randy shrugged. "Just warning you."

"What?"

"It doesn't add up, though. A grief stricken family, vulnerable, moves back to Woodsboro. I think someone's trying to frame you. Classic horror movie."

Frame her. That must've been what Stu was up to, lurking around in her home when Sidney and Tatum came by. He had definitely had moments where his brain lapsed, but there's no way he could've mistaken the office for a kitchen. Even worse was the realization that Billy may have been putting on an act the night before. Angela'd been a fool to think that he would actually reciprocate her fascination with him.

Randy watched her carefully, trying to discern what she was feeling. He had no idea. If she flipped out on Billy and Stu, it'd be clear that they were the killers. Besides, she cried when she became angered. She was getting inside her own head, freaking herself out. Even though Billy might turn out to be a douchebag with no regard for a girl's feelings on top of the murderous physco thing, Angela still felt as though she needed to protect him.

"That's ridiculous." She spoke softer, nursing her wounds.

"Don't take it personally. These people are brain dead. They need to watch a few slashers, learn a little. It'd save them time. The police are always off with this stuff!"

"That they are." She laughed. "You don't think I'm the killer, right?"

"I don't, Ang." He reassured her. "Wanna come by the store tonight? It's Friday."

"I don't know, Randy..."

"All right, all right. I'll come by your place. We can watch Nightmare on Elm Street, pop some Jiffy pop."

"Alright, fine." She smiled, allowing him to persuade her. "I thought they fired you?"

"Twice." He grinned.

They were quickly approaching Billy, Sidney and Tatum at their lockers. Angela thought she'd be able to hold herself together, but when her eyes met Billy's and he gave her the faintest of smiles, tears sprung into her eyes.

"I'll see you guys later." Turning around, she could hear Randy calling after her.

She rushed through the hallway, zipping upstairs to the dead silent third floor. The third floor was what'd once been the attic of the building, but was now where the art studio and wood shop was located. Those classes didn't start until second period, so it was desolate. She knew she'd have to face Randy in algebra and explain herself, but for the moment she just needed to get away from everyone.

There was nothing but the sound of the air conditioner whirring from above, and every now and then a door would open from one of the lower floors. It was peaceful for a while, but soon her mind took over again. She never imagined she'd find herself in a situation like this one. Glancing up, the echoes of boots trailing up the stairs rang out, producing none other than Billy.

"Get away from me."

A confused look washed over his face. "What's going on with you today?"

"You and Stu are trying to-"