Chapter 4

The drive from the video store in the heart of Woodsboro to Angela's house was a long one that cut through the tall trees and frankly, a little eerie. It was nothing like San Francisco's vivacious, bustling streets. Anything could happen in the thick blanket of forest.

As the winding road took her further and further, the only sound being her radio, the bugs smacking her windshield and the wind rushing through her ears and lifting strands of her hair. It was often times like this she thought of her Mother. Paired with talking to Sidney about her own Mother's death at the store, it was unavoidable.

Alone, snaking her way through the silent Californian trees to her new home. She missed her. Cutting Angela off after the decision to join her Father had been cruel, and she'd never forgive the woman for breaking both their hearts, but the childhood girl within hanging from a thread yearned for the way things used to be.

It was lost in her thoughts that she somehow missed the deer standing in the middle of the road until her lights swept over the animal. Panic washed over her. Quickly gripping the wheel, Angela managed to maneuver the car onto the side of the road and out of the way of the deer, who darted in the opposite direction.

Slamming on the breaks just inches before the Mercedes collided with a bulky tree trunk, she felt a dribble fall down her cheek. Her hands trembled so much so she had difficulty switching the car into park. It was only when she began to look around did she notice the large, brightly lit home on the side of the road, barely half a mile away.

She needed to get a hold of herself. She hadn't hit the deer, and everything was going to be alright. Angela shoved open the door, stepping out. Everything was happening at once - the resentment for her Mother; the adrenaline from almost plowing into a deer.

Now, she was going crazy. She faintly heard low voices from somewhere in those trees. Approaching the treeline hesitantly, the clicks of her boots echoing into the near silence, the voices grew louder, and seemingly closer. Just a few feet away, the leaves rustled.

Billy and Stu emerged, Stu clutching a knife. She shrieked with surprise, stumbling backwards. The knife glinted in the moonlight, causing her to catch the deep crimson blotches on it. The strands of hair that hung in front of his face hid the surprise that filled them. In fact, both of their shirts had the same splattered color on it.

Stu slipped an odd, ghost face mask onto his face. "Hiya, Ang." Stu grinned. This grin was different from the one she'd seen many times before. "Like the outfit?"

"What's going on?" She eyed the knife. It was blood.

"No, no, that's not this works. We ask the questions. You get 'em wrong, slice and dice, baby!"

"How what works?!"

"Shut up!" Billy shouted. "Both of you, shut the fuck up! Give me the knife, Stu."

Angela flinched at his yell. They were scaring her. What could they possibly be doing with a mask and a bloody knife? There was nothing around here, except the home up the road. She doubted they hunted in their free time. Suddenly, it all clicked for her. Billy choosing horror as his genre, the knife, the mask. Backing up, her hands fumbled for the door handle. No one was meant to witness this.

She contemplated running for it as Stu presented the knife to Billy. If she ran fast enough, she could make it into the woods. Sucking in a breath, she made a dash for the treeline on the opposite side of the road, but just as fast Billy had looped around and caged her in his arms. His grip was inescapable. Angela hadn't even managed to make it ten feet past her car.

Stu was laughing, lurking right behind them. "Where you goin'?"

"Don't you move or I'll gut you like a fish!" Billy's voice was rigid, making it clear this was more than simply a threat.