Chapter 2

Her first day at school had overall been quite the success, contrary to her expectations of the day. Reuniting with Randy had been great. Befriending the small group he hung out and later eating lunch with them on the school's lush lawn was a bonus, as well. She enjoyed listening to them converse and quip about all sorts of things. She sailed through her classes, mingling with cheerleaders Casey Becker and Gloria Hayes - it was great.

Second period, Angela had a science course with Sidney and Stu, though Stu bowed out to sit with a buddy halfway through class. Third period, she took an advanced placement history class all alone, which she didn't really mind. It gave her time to reflect for a moment and relax from the rest of the day in the back of the room. Fourth period she took film studies and found herself alone as well, with the exception of Billy.

She'd been sitting in the middle of the room, next to a girl with thick glasses when he breezed in. Looking up from underneath her curls, they met eyes once again. Inhaling sharply, Angela turned away from him, knocking her book of the desk in the process. Bending down in her seat to grasp it, she lifted her head to find him sliding into the seat beside her.

"Hey." He said, the word rolling off his tongue.

"Oh, hi, Billy."

A brief moment of silence passed between them. "You take film studies?"

"I could say the same to you." She smiled.

"What, are you surprised?"

"No.. just wouldn't peg you as the film studies type of guy, I guess."

"I wouldn't peg you for the film studies type of girl, either." He returned her smile.

"I'm not artsy enough?" She managed to get a small chuckle out of him. "My Dad and I love movies."

He was focused on the board ahead of them. "How do you like it here?"

"It's okay. A lot different."

"Yeah. It is."

With that, he'd stood again and made his way over to the other students. They hadn't spoken again all class period. Which was fine by Angela. Billy intimidated her. Not because he was admittedly attractive, but because he was popular. The kids at this school adored him, seemingly lapping up everything he said the entirety of the class period. Angela'd been pretty popular at her old school, but she had no idea how this small town shit worked.

x

After fourth period came to a close, Randy and Sidney had met up by Tatum's shiny red beetle in the lot, waiting for Billy, Stu and her to make their way out of the emptying school. Sliding up onto the hood, Randy scanned the doors.

"You're awfully quiet." Sidney remarked.

"Huh?" He mumbled. "Oh, yeah. Just a little drained. Public education'll do that to you."

Sidney squinted through the afternoon sun glaring off of Tatum's car. Something was definitely up with Randy. She'd been friends with him since junior high; and he usually didn't stick around long after classes were over. Randy'd take a swift exit to make his way to the video store in the town square.

"I think it's Angela."

"Please, Sidney." He scoffed. "It's not like Angela is a hot, new girl I used to charm back in my childhood."

"Oh my God, you like her!"

"No, I don't." He scoffed.

Sidney opened her mouth to speak, but promptly shut it, Stu and Tatum approaching across the lawn. Billy followed close behind, Sidney immediately perking up at his presence. Keeping her suspicion of Randy's affection for Angela was probably for the best if they were all going to be conversing.