Chapter 3

The next month passed by quickly for Angela. Woodsboro was growing on her once again, surely, but slowly. She became better friends with Sidney and Tatum, who began to trust and confide in her. When she wasn't helping out Randy at the video store for some extra cash or kicked back in the stock room with him, munching on a bowl of popcorn and debating horror movies, Angela found herself with the girls.

At home, her Dad was making minimal progress, both emotionally and with the home. He ate microwave TV meals almost every night before retreating into his office and working. That's all he seemed to do anymore. It was depressing, really. Angela spent as little time as possible at home for this precise reason. It was not a home, but rather the shell of one. It had potential. She and her Father loved each other very much - but he was numb to emotions, still reeling.

In her own life, Angela faced an issue of her own. Each day, she guiltily looked forward to last period, and not for the simple reason that it was the last class of the school day. It was fucked up, but she had developed an odd curiosity for one of her best friend's boyfriends. Angela refused to act upon it. She would not be a homewrecker, like her Mother, or do that to Sidney.

Besides, it's not like Billy thought of her in that light.

They spoke everyday, and sometimes he took a seat beside her in film studies, but he was purely being a friend. It wasn't solely his looks that sparked something within her. There was something behind those deep brown eyes that intrigued her; left her hanging onto every word he said, no matter how mundane. But that was the thing with Billy. Nothing about him was mundane.

Angela Edwards was confident, friendly and flirty. She'd never met a boy who could intimidate her, and make her feel nervous. Not even her quarterback ex-boyfriend David, and he was unbelievably talented and gorgeous. This brooding Woodsboro boy was... different. As cliche as it sounded, he was.

x

It was a record breaking cold day for this time of November in California. Angela'd slipped into a bright blue sweater and a tan plaid skirt with blue and white intersecting lines, and white socks that slouched above her white tennis shoes. That said, she was freezing her ass off, and Stu had already graciously pointed this out. Randy and Sidney were by her side in the hallway, carrying on their conversation from lunch about the weather.

"You know, in 6 weeks it'll be a year since my Mom died." Sidney remarked softly. Angela turned around from her locker at this, exchanging a glance with Randy.

"You okay, Sid?" He asked.

"Fine. Fine." She shook her head, squinting down the hallway. "I just... thought about it."

"Come hang at the video store tonight." Angela offered. "I promise, it's not that boring."

Sidney contemplated this for a moment. Randy invited her all the time, but if Angela went often, she figured it couldn't be that bad. "Alright."

"You're a miracle worker, Angela." Randy remarked, half-smiling. He glanced down at his watch. "Shit, gotta run."

Angela retrieved her notebook from the locker before easing it shut and stepping closer to Sidney. She didn't know exactly what it was like to have a dead Mother, but she was all too familiar with not having one around. "I'm really sorry about your Mom."

"I just don't understand how Cotton could... do that."

"Me neither." Her heart sunk at the same time the bell let out a shrill ring. "We'll hang at the store later, alright? Randy's sure to make a goof of himself."

"I think he likes you, you know."

Angela was a bit taken back, knowing what she did about the inner workings of Randy's emotions. "You didn't hear it from me, but he's got a thing for you."