Ain't It Fun (3)

"See it's easy to ignore trouble,

When you're living in a bubble"

-Paramore, Ain't It Fun

The buzzing of my phone on the coffee table in Jenny's apartment was what woke me up.

Unknown: 21 Davis

I frowned as I picked it up. I hadn't given anyone my number recently...except for Tegan.

Toby: Tegan?

Unknown: are you coming or not

Toby: I'll take that a yes. fine

I assigned her a contact, frowning slightly when I realized I already had her under a different number. I had texted her once, as she had commanded, asking her if she had made up her mind, but she never replied.

"Jenny," I shouted. "I'm going out."

Josh's sister was singing along to the radio, but broke off to yell back an 'ok' before continuing. I closed the door behind me as I walked outside, turning right, though I knew Davis Street was two blocks to the left.

I made a habit of not turning left when I walked out of Jenny's apartment. Left was where the old house was, a block down, where it sat now with it's new family, all remnants of mine abandoned and left behind in the dust. They had painted over the white walls with a dark grey, the black shutters white, and the flowers that Jenny told me were always in bloom had long since died.

It was a longer walk than if I had just turned left, but when I made it to Davis Street, it had only been about fifteen minutes after I had left Jenny's apartment. I turned, stepping off of the sidewalk and into the street when I saw the girl walking towards me. I pulled my hood up, but it was a bit late, as she gave a barely audible squeal. "Toby?" she whispered as I passed. I turned my head and gave her a small smile, making her face pale slightly.

"Hi," I said. She clapped both hands over her mouth, blue eyes widening. They were a dark navy around the pupil, lightening out to an icy blue around the edges. As I watched, the darker circle swelled and the ice all but disappeared.

"Your eyes are so cool," I said instantly, then my cheeks went pink. "Sorry," I said, pulling down my hood and rubbing a hand awkwardly over the back of my neck. "That was weird, sorry."

She gasped. "Omigosh," she whispered. "Toby Deron just said my eyes were cool. Omigosh!"

I chuckled. "What's your name, love?"

Apparently it was the accent, the slight British that was always there and strengthened around Jenny and Josh, that killed the girls. According to Jenny, when I flashed the dimple in my right cheek and made the accent prominent, I had the girls pregnant, untouched.

A charmer, my sister.

The blond gasped again. "Omigosh," she said. "My name? You wanna know my- Natalie. Natalie, my name is. My name is Natalie. I'm Natalie."

I bit back a grin. "Nice to meet you, Natalie. I'm Toby."

"I know," she blurted out. "I know everything about you."

I raised an eyebrow and she clapped both hands over her mouth, cheeks going bright red. I couldn't help but smile. "You're cute, Natalie," I said. She looked to be around three years younger than me, probably around fifteen or sixteen. She gasped again behind her hands. "Omigosh, Toby Deron called me cute!"