Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Henry's POV

"Good morning, Sir. Malapit na po 'yong meeting mo with Mr. Cristobal," bungad sa'kin ng sekretarya ko pagpasok ko sa opisina ko.

"Yes, I know. Thanks for reminding, though," sagot ko at pinatong 'yong suitcase ko sa mesa. Naramdam ko naman ang pagkalam ng tiyan ko.

"Jean, coffee please," utos ko kay Jean gamit ang kalmado at pormal na boses.

"Yes, Sir. Wait lang po." Tumayo na siya at nagsimulang gawin ang kape ko.

"Thanks," tipid kong sagot. 

I know I sound and seem more civil and... well, kind with the way I interact with my secretary, kumpara kay Allison. I am not to blame. Whenever I see Allison, all my demons are surfacing. I forget my rationale and just snap at her, but can you blame me? Sinong hindi manunuot ang galit kapag nakita mo ang taong sumira sa buhay at pangarap na inaasam mo? 

I have been nothing but good to that damned woman! I get that she loves me but her means are just terrible and loathsome. Anyone who's in his or her right mind won't do what she did. She ruined me. She ruined me, the love of my life, and the future that we could have shared. She ruined my dreams. She ruined everything.

I remember how Christine, my sweet Christine, pushed me to fulfill my responsibilities to my family and my company. I remember her pained face while letting me go. I told her I don't care about my family nor our company. I can stand on my own. I have an identity. I don't have to be a slave to our company. I can be with her and start fresh with our lives, but she insisted that I listen to and obey my father's whims. It was selfless of hers to let me go, to let us go and at the same time selfish. That's not what I wanted. I wished she fought for us.

Even after all her efforts to let me go, I still didn't agree to be married to that damned, desperate woman, Allison. I wasn't angry or anything of the likes towards Allison at that time because I thought she's just as troubled as I am. We were both forced into this arranged marriage for the greater good of our companies.I stood firm to my decision until one day, Christine suddenly vanished.

Napapikit ako nang maalala ang biglang pagkawala ni Christine. I searched everywhere. I tried to do everything that I can to reach her, to find her but I wasn't successful. Hanggang ngayon ay hindi ko pa rin siya nakikita.

I was so wasted during those times. I prioritized searching for Christine over anything else, including my well-being. I lost all hope and just agreed to be married with Allison. I had no other choice. The woman I wanted to fight for didn't want me to so what's the use? 

Ikinasal kami ni Allison. I did my best to be casual with her. I wanted to know her better because I know she's the person I will spend my life with... until I find Christine, if ever I will. 

Everything was progressing smoothly with me and Allison until one night, I heard her talking with someone on the phone. I believe it was with her bestfriend, Kate.

"Yes. Okay naman kami... cold? Hindi naman. He's casual with me and I can see his efforts in trying to let our relationship progress." She paused for a while, listening to whatever the person on the other line is talking about, then talked again.

"Anong magagawa ko? I love him." She paused once again. "No, hindi ko siya inagaw kay Christine." Biglang nag-init ang ulo ko nang marinig ko ang pangalan ni Christine. Agad akong naglakad patungo sa kinatatayuan niya at hinablot ang cellphone niya. Kitang-kita ko ang gulat at takot sa kaniyang mukha ngunit wala akong pake. Itinapat ko ang cellphone sa aking tainga.