5

FIVE

She didn't stand up when she heard the knock on the door

She didn't stand up when she heard the knock on the door. She just sat in the darkness of her bedroom in complete silence. She hasn't moved since she got the news. One letter can ruin a life. It only took one sentence for her entire world to come crashing down. The entirety of her body just felt empty. She was numb.

"Buck put a spare key in your plant outside," Steve said quietly, leaning against her doorframe. Deborah couldn't even look at him. She just sat in still, shocked silence.

"I'm sorry, Debbie," Steve said, his voice cracking with a choked down sob.

"Sorry's not gonna bring him back, Steve," Debbie hissed quietly.

"I'm so sorry," Steve cried softly, looking away from her.

"Read this," Deborah ordered harshly, thrusting a letter into his hands.

"Debbie--" Steve started quietly.

"Read the damn letter, Steven. You might not be skinny anymore, but I will beat your muscular ass," Debbie snapped. Steve tentatively opened the letter, scared to see what was inside.

"Is it true?" Steve asked, shocked, laying the letter down on the dresser.

"I wouldn't write it if it weren't," Debbie scoffed.

"You're not allowed to die on me, Steve," Debbie cried quietly.

"I'm not going anywhere," Steve promised.

"Damn it, Steven. I can't do this by myself. James was-- James was supposed to be here," Debbie sobbed. Steve sat down gently on the bed, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.
Two broken people, trying their best not to show it.

"I think I'm gonna marry Peggy when this war is over," Steve sighed suddenly.

"Yeah?" Debbie asked, wiping the tears from her cheeks.

"Just wish Bucky could stand up there with me, you know," Steve said quietly, trying not to break down crying again. He needed to be strong for Debbie. It's what Bucky would've wanted.

"I'll stand up there with you, Steve," Debbie whispered, biting back her tears to force a small smile.

"I'm glad he picked you, Debbie," Steve sighed, leaning his head onto the top of hers.

"Me too," she sighed, a small laugh escaping her lips.

"What's funny?" Steve asked, confused.

"He could've had any girl, but he chose me-- he wanted me," Debbie scoffed, rolling her eyes at the thought.

"You were the only one who didn't want him back," Steve shrugged.

"He changed that pretty quickly, huh?" Debbie sighed, chuckling, remembering what things used to be.

"When do you go back out?" Debbie asked seriously.

"Tonight. I wasn't supposed to leave, but I had to come here," Steve explained.

"I'm glad you did, Stevie," Debbie sighed.

"I, uh, I'm gonna wait until you get back to have a funeral. He-- he would've wanted you to be there," Debbie said quietly, sniffling softly.

But he never did make it back for the funeral. One week after that exact moment, Steve Rogers plunged into the ocean, leaving her with nothing but a call from Peggy Carter. She couldn't bear to hold two funerals for the two people she loved most in the world. Even in death, they did everything together, just as they did in life. She buried two empty caskets that day.

"Thanks for being here, Peggy," Debbie cried quietly, staring at the two fresh graves.

"I never got to tell him I loved him," Peggy cried.

"He was a smart guy. I'm sure he knew," Debbie reassured her.

"I met your James before he passed. I can see why you loved him," Peggy added.

"You should have this," Debbie said, holding out one of the folded up American flags that had been given to her during the funeral procession.

"You were Steve's girl," Debbie added. Peggy stared at it with soft, tear-filled eyes, clutching it tightly to her chest.

"I know you're quite busy with your whole not so secret agent thing, but if you're ever in Brooklyn, give me a call," Debbie offered, forcing a small smile.

"I was thinking of staying here for a while," Peggy shrugged.

"There's always a booth for you in my diner and a seat for you at my dining table," Debbie said kindly, squeezing Peggy's hand gently. She took one last look at the grave stones, wishing it were all a dream. But alas.