Chapter 29

We hurried to the door as Shaun drove off, knowing everyone was already inside.

Instead of being greeted by Lyla or one of the boys, I came face to face with a woman.

She gave me a tight lipped smile as she opened the door wider, a questioning look on her face.

"And you are?"

I nearly took a double take. She looked so kind and welcoming but the tone in her voice suggested anything but.

My icy glare pinned her in place and she stared back at me with the same fierceness. Positioning myself in front of Dylan so that he was out of her line of view, I answered.

"Skylar. And you?"

The scowl on my face instantly dropped at Faith's shriek, "Sky!"

She came bobbing over to me and I crouched to her height, placing a kiss on her cheek.

"Hey Faith, how are you doing? Still forcing Zachy to be a knight I hope?"

She giggled, "Of course, he would end up ripping my dress if he tried to be the princess."

I laughed along with her, "You're dead right."

She swayed back and forth on her heels, a question looming over her, "So..."

"So?" I repeated.

"I was wondering when you'd bring Dylan next. You never bring him here."

I chuckled at her as I tugged Dylan out from behind me, "Surprise."

Her shriek of excitement filled the air and I had nearly forgotten about the woman standing ahead of me had it not been for the clearing of her throat, pulling me away from the two kids exchanging greetings.

Looking at her now, I studied her face, and noticed the resemblance between her and Faith.

She was their mother.

Oh fuck.

She was Zach's mum.

And I spoke to her like that.

Worried you made a bad first impression to your future mother-in-law?

No, just-

"Sky, hey, you made it. I- oh, this is my mum, Angie. And mum, this is Sky."

Zach gave her a pointed look before her face lit up in recognition.

"Oh, Sky, as in Sky."

I furrowed my brows in confusion.

Yes, I was Sky. What was the big deal?

"Well, it's lovely to meet you," she said, holding her hand out.

I shook her hand and was surprised by the force she put into it, her eyes held warning in them.

"Anyways," Zach interrupted. "Everyone's already waiting so we'd better get going."

I nodded, turning to Dylan who looked at me for confirmation.

I crouched down, "As soon as you want to leave or you need anything, just tell me. I'll be right through those doors, okay?"

He nodded, flashing me a grin as he itched to get away.

I chuckled, pecking him on the cheek and whispered, "Right off you go then, have fun."

And with that, they were running off upstairs and I was being tugged by Zach towards the living room.

I skimmed his face, wondering how anyone could be related to someone so rude and uptight.