Chapter 7: 99 Problems

Glass was spread along the road and huge chunks layed in front of the window behind the tape. Blood specks were sporadically surrounding the pieces, a large stain in front of the door. 

He tried to run. 

Everyone stood on the other side of the street all watching and whispering about their thoughts on what happened, why, when, how who. Who was it that pulled the trigger on the poor old man? Was it the people standing on the other side - thats what we're all thinking. 

"Where's Ben and Mike?" Scottie asked. 

Noone answered. 

"All that blood, man," Jason spoke. 

I rested my hands in my coat pockets. It was only nine in the morning. Most of the town was here watching the cops scratch their heads and try and figure out how this happened...why. Our football game attendance was an all time low. 

But everyone was here. They'd all shown up for the show. 

Jimmy was over on the corner talking to one of his work buddies. Anna was with him, just like the rest of us, trying to figure this out.

Martin Dills. Sixty three years old. Grandfather, father, brother, flower shop owner...filthy stinkin rich bastard. He lived in a big brown house on the hill. He came from family money. His father owned most of the businesses in this town. Once he diead, ol' Martin collected. 

He was worth millions and probably more. 

"Dumbasses," Harry muttered at two of the cops. 

His eyes were red and his t-shirt was dirty and his pants were barely zipped up. The lights and sirens woke him up just like the rest of us. He was only down here because its a show. 

"Who'd want to rob a flower shop?" I asked out loud, "Its not like it has tons of money inside."

Harry spewed out some smoke and smirked, "Probably didnt even steal a dime."

Scottie tiredly leaned into Jason and squinted his eyes. He was up all night with Jimmy talking. We all heard them. Scottie was only trying to help a situation that was unfixable. He was kicking a dead horse. 

"Barry says the guy threw the money at the guy and tried to run out the door. Guy shot him in the back of the head and took off. Money's still there and everything," Jimmy explained. 

Harry didnt move. Just stood and stared through the other side. 

"That must be the wife," Anna said, pointing to the crying gray haired woman.

This is the type of scene people wouldnt rush to. It happens. Here, its not an uncommon thing. But today it was. 

"Jimmy!"

We all turned to see the two running towards us. Benji, shockingly, leading the pack. He stopped in front of Jimmy and cupped his knees, trying to catch his breath. 

Jimmy kneeled down and grabbed his shoulders to steady him, "Whats goin' on?" 

Mike caught up and exchanged a look with Scottie.

Benji wheezed, "She...she..." he crouched, "I cant...find...'er." 

Anna came over beside them and bent down, "Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. It helps."

He followed her instructions and easily rose up, "Emily," he paused, "She took off. She aint home. Her bed is made. She didnt stay here last night, man."

"Friends house?" I asked.

Mike shook his head, "Checked...all morning." 

"She took off?" Jimmy asked the obvious.