Chapter 2: Concealment

Track list for this chapter:

No Words - The Script

Monster - Imagine Dragons

-----

Claire's POV

My father left after that incident, probably out drinking. My mom has been crying on the couch ever since. I walk up the rusty metal stairs, which lead directly into my room. There's also the guest room , behind my side wall, but it serves no purpose. My room is not big but not small either. My bed, with white sheets, is in the right corner of the room. Lights and pictures are hung around the walls and the extra space painted white.

Shit. I realize it's almost 7:30.

I apply the concealer to the scar then grab the keys to my motorcycle. I arrive at cafe after a while and park my motorcycle next to the relatively small, brick building. I've been working here since I was 15, so Dana and the workers are like family to me.

When I enter the cafe, the warm, coffee smell surrounds me. I grab a slice of lemon bread and rush to the kitchen but stopped when I heard my name.

"Claire, did you get lost on your way here?" Dana jokes but was serious. Dana is my boss. She's blonde, short and is in her early 40's.

"Sorry, I woke up late." I lie, not wanting to tell her about this morning.

"Honey, you have to get some sleep and not stay up writing nonsense in that journal of yours."

"But the stuff I write isn-" I was gonna continue to argue that the poems I've written aren't nonsense but was cut off by a familiar voice.

"Good morning Claire, Dana", Gavin greeted with a warm smile, assuring me that he'll distract Dana.

"Good morning" I smile, trying to cover the scar with my hair.

Gavin Matthews. This brunette haired and blue-eyed boy never fails to make me smile. Gavin and I have been best friends since we were little. He's the only person that accepts me for who I am. I don't know what I'd do with-

He clears his throat and brings me out of my thoughts. I haven't realized I've been staring at him.

I join Gavin as he laughs and the sound fills the room. We enter to the kitchen to grab our green aprons. I serve as a waitress and sometimes work the cash register with Gavin.

-----

Today is going faster than I thought. Well while serving customers and greeting people, I didn't realize time has pasted by so fast. It's already 3:30. Only an hour more til the cafe closes then it's off to my favorite activity...the poetry slam.

"Hey Gav!" I call him, but he doesn't hear. I notice that he has his earphones in. "GAV!" I basically yell but he still doesn't hear. I took a spray bottle and sprayed the water at him. He flinches then falls on the ground. I burst out into laughter as I lean over his body. He quickly grabs another bottle and starts spraying me. We chased each other around like when we were little kids.

"Gavin, cut it out!" I say while laughing.

He suddenly stops and stares at me.

-----

A/N: If any of you guys are wondering, Claire's mom is Demi Moore and Gavin is David Henry :)